Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com> on 2001/04/23 21:52:46 UTC

[c2] can't build latest cvs

/usr/home/balld/src/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/src/org/apache/cocoon/components/language/programming/java/Jikes.java:61:
No method matching getLogger() found in class
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.programming.java.Jikes.
               getLogger().warn("Jikes.run()", e);
                        ^
/usr/home/balld/src/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/src/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/SQLTransformer.java:507:
No method matching getLogger() found in class
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.SQLTransformer.
                        getLogger().debug("SQLTransformer", e);

(and a bunch more SQLTransformer errors)

- donald

Re: [c2] can't build latest cvs

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 12:12  24/4/01 +0200, Santiago Gala wrote:
>I wonder also how setLogger() is public while getLogger() is protected.
>Looks counterintuitive.

The reasoning is that setLogger has to be public as the Logger is received
from outside the component. getLogger().warn() is just a nicer substitute
for m_logger.warn(). That way Cocoons style doesn't have to mix with
AValons style ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Re: [c2] can't build latest cvs

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Donald Ball wrote:

> /usr/home/balld/src/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/src/org/apache/cocoon/components/language/programming/java/Jikes.java:61:
> No method matching getLogger() found in class
> org.apache.cocoon.components.language.programming.java.Jikes.
>                getLogger().warn("Jikes.run()", e);
>                         ^
> /usr/home/balld/src/xml-cocoon2/build/cocoon/src/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/SQLTransformer.java:507:
> No method matching getLogger() found in class
> org.apache.cocoon.transformation.SQLTransformer.
>                         getLogger().debug("SQLTransformer", e);

This errors seem to come from Avalon

> (and a bunch more SQLTransformer errors)

The errors come from the log instance var having disappeared (probably
the same origin).

The reason is getLogger() is protected, and we cannot get it from the
inner class Query.

I wonder also how setLogger() is public while getLogger() is protected.
Looks counterintuitive.

Still:

I am fixing these, since I also discovered I put the init() and
recycle() methods in the wrong scope (also will comment start and end of
inner classes to make it clear.

Part of my changes got committed. I will also send a new patch changing
IllegalStateException to SAXException, since unchecked exceptions jump
out of the pipeline processing, making debugging much harder (at least
that was my experience when trying to undertans errors I got in here...)

I'll send a patch with these changes.