Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/13 00:59:17 UTC

Radiate

Jude,

This looks fantastic.  And it looks well thought out as well.  We've had
some discussions in the past on this list about a tool like this.  Do you
have any plans of contributing it to Apache Flex?  I would be interested in
in helping expand this tool.  I am a spread out a bit too think with the
Installer, tracking, etc. and my Stage3D experimentation.  But building a
designer/developer tool like this really interests me.

In past discussions, Michael Schmalle had mentioned that combining such a
tool with Falcon's capabilities would make for very interesting
possibilities [1]

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Om

[1] http://markmail.org/message/65w7vra4a6qmqq6s

Re: Radiate

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Om, et alii. I don't know what to do. I don't have an answer at this
point. I'm kindof looking to see what others want and / or need and if it's
something we sustain.

Here are goals I'm aiming for:

• keeping it in the browser (there can be other versions but a browser
version is a must)
• staying design focused to start (export / import of skins)
• import / export of applications
• keeping the dom agnostic
• live preview on various target devices

Peter makes a good point here <http://markmail.org/message/asut3edgtbxipuvp>on:

*Apple now uses something it calls "Storyboards" (more advanced nibs) which
makes it very easy to separate the design from the function. Apple's UI
Designer plugin to Xcode needs more work to allow for complete styling, but
it does provide this separation where the description of the UI is
independent of the code. An iOS universal app can be a single executable
with multiple Storyboards using the same classes for iPhone and iPad but
uses them in different ways depending on which Storyboard is loaded.*

But I'd want to bring in that code through code libraries (swfs with your
code in it) or database support. I actually don't like using the filesystem
to manage and store code. I've used an IDE in the past that used an Access
database file to hold a project and all it's code and when I opened that
database it was enlightening. The project made sense on a high level. Of
course, it had to enforce some restrictions to keep things organized but it
was nothing compared to what you got in return. Think about if you could
work on a Flex project where the source was hosted on a server. Working on
a team you could see who was working on what. See the code changed live.
You could have the server do all of the heavy lifting. The client app could
be nimble because it would only have to display what you wanted to see or
work on. Changes could be saved live. You could always fall back to a local
version or download a copy of the database / project to work on offline.

On the other hand that path makes sense to me because I'm familiar with
those things and I can see how I would make it work. But that decision and
that way is a long way off.

Right now it's not writing or saving anything. What it is doing is reading
in a SWF and generating a component tree or component document object model
(CDOM). That is, it's generating the component tree based on the structure
of the Flex documents you work with in Flash Builder and not the display
list. With this model you can map the UI element with it's file. You could
theoretically edit the document given the project source path, it's ID and
if it was an AIR app or in the IDE (of course). That's from runtime
information. If it was a debug SWF it might contain much more information.
It can also generate the component tree in a new project as it's being
built. It doesn't store any of the property changes on the components in
the component tree at this point but it would take maybe ten minutes to do
this and a little more to export it to MXML. I'm getting off topic. Maybe
some more clarity will come in time.

Re: Radiate

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sebastian. Really nice! That's what I'm going for. I will post more
information and hopefully have some answer or something more to share in
time.

Re: Radiate

Posted by Sebastian Mohr <fl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jude,