Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by George Ludwig <ge...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/09 03:12:03 UTC

Trying to get tapestry-bootstrap running with 5.3.6

I've been running in circles trying to make Eclipse and Maven happy with
the dependencies, but I've had no luck.

My final play was to download Jumpstart 6.6.5 and run the build, then
upload tapestry5-jquery-3.3.4.jar and tapestry-bootstrap-2.1.3.jar to my
artifact repository.

I then ad those to my pom.xml, but when I run mvn:eclipse, it still
complains:
Project 'ui' is missing required library:
'/Users/George/.m2/repository/com/google/code/maven-play-plugin/com/yahoo/platform/yui/yuicompressor/2.4.7/yuicompressor-2.4.7.jar
'

I've read a thread about problems relating to yuicompressor, but I have no
idea what to do about it, or why the jumpstart project is seemingly able to
get away without it.

Any help is much appreciated!

-George

Re: Trying to get tapestry-bootstrap running with 5.3.6

Posted by Chris Cureau <cm...@gmail.com>.
Tapestry-bootstrap needs tapestry 5.3.4.  I just cloned the
tapestry-bootstrap git repository and changed the dependency to 5.3.6.

If there's a better way, please let me know!

Posted by George Ludwig <ge...@gmail.com>.
@Ken: Thanks for the in-depth example! I actually have my own Artifactory
repository running...if something is not available from a public
repository, I manually upload it there and everything works out.

@Thiago: Thanks for the reassurance!

In any event, I've now got this totally resolved. For the sake of others
who follow in my footsteps, here is what I learned:

If you're using Maven 2.0 (I don't know about 3), I had to explicitly
include the tapestry-wrapped yuicompressor:

 <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.tapestry</groupId>
            <artifactId>tapestry-yuicompressor</artifactId>
            <version>${tapestry-release-version}</version>
  </dependency>

Maven usually finds these dependencies, not sure why it did not find it
this time. Using a maven dependency exclude also worked, but I prefer to
have the compression.

If you include bootstrap/jquery, you MUST add these lines to your
AppModule.java in the method contributeApplicationDefaults if you want to
stay sane:

configuration.add(JQuerySymbolConstants.SUPPRESS_PROTOTYPE, "false");
configuration.add(JQuerySymbolConstants.JQUERY_ALIAS, "$j");

If you don't, strange things happen. For example, my Confirm mixin (the
only prototype-based mixin I have that I'm aware of) would not work, and
the mere presence of that mixin on a page  potentially interfered with
other things (i.e., the progressiveDisplay not working). The other thing I
noticed was that my Ajax Zone updates would not work until I put those
entries in. Which makes me wonder if there was something going on "under
the hood" with tapestry still referencing prototype in order to make that
work.

That about sums it up. Right now, things are working amazingly well, and my
progress on re-skinning my UI has been phenomenal.

Now, if only I can figure out why the pagination ellipsis appears in the
wrong spot!

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by George Ludwig <ge...@gmail.com>.
@Lenny: so running my app with the bootstrap stuff in it, the first thing I
notice is that none of my onProgressiveDisplay events are getting
triggered, and I have no idea if this is related to the yuicompressor, or
if it's something else.

That's what I hate about workaround...the throw way to much entropy in to
the solution  matrix.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.

Posted by George Ludwig <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.