Posted to portalapps-dev@portals.apache.org by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com> on 2014/03/07 18:40:35 UTC

Apache Portals Web Content Application 2.x Proposal

Hi Folks,

I posted an idea to refactor apa-webcontent a while ago [1] and promised to write down a proposal/plan in a portals wiki page. I don't know why, but I can't add a wiki page in https://wiki.apache.org/portals/Applications at the moment. So, could someone allow me to add a page there? (I'm getting "You are not allowed to edit this page." when creating an empty page.)

Anyway, I'm writing down a brief proposal including objectives, tasks and possible plans here. Please review it and let me know if you have any further questions. (As soon as I get consensus on this, I'll try to create a wiki page and JIRA tickets to proceed.)

-----

Apache Portals Web Content Application 2.x Proposal

1. Objectives
  - Reverse proxy module to be runnable in both portlet env and servlet (non-portlet) env
  - Easier and more flexible content rewriting module
  - More intuitive reverse proxy mapping configuration
  - More componentized module structure and usage of an IoC container
  - More extensible SSO integration support
  - Other possible extensibility (e.g, to support custom ESI processing component)

2. Assumptions
  - 2.0 may break backward compatibility in both code and configuration

3. Tasks
  3.1. Branching apa-webcontent-1.x and use trunk for 2.x.
  3.2. Maven project restructuring
    - content-rewriter : content rewriting module decoupled with
 portlet-api
    - reverse-proxy : reverse proxy module decoupled with portlet-api
    - portlets : portlet classes
    - war : (portlet) web application
  3.3. Change package name structure (org.apache.portals.application.webcontent2.**)
  3.4. Componentizing reverse proxy module
    - use spring framework or anything else as dependency injection?
  3.5. Improve reverse proxy mapping configuration
    - consider using YAML instead of properties file
  3.6. Designing Content Rewriter module and evaluating 3rd party solutions (e.g, htmlcleaner)
  3.7. Implementing Content Rewriter module with componentization
  3.8. Evaluating open (de facto) SSO standards/technologies to possibly integrate
  3.9. Provide external SSO integration API with an example
  3.10. Considering other possible
 extensibility

4. Possible candidate plans
  - 2.0 (Task 3.1 to 3.5)
  - 2.1 (Task 3.6 to 3.7)
  - 2.2 (Task 3.8 to 3.9)
  - 2.3 (Task 3.10 ~ )

-----

Regards,

Woonsan

[1] http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/3HoJWKOPGLYhpCfybLG5

Re: Apache Portals Web Content Application 2.x Proposal

Posted by David S Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Woonsan,

I don't think I have administrative rights to the Wiki. Let me see if I can
get some help ...

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks you so much, Ate and David!

I wouldn't have created a wiki name with a space if I knew this issue. :p

Cheers,

Woonsan

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by David S Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Yes, I am an Admin. I added Woonsan to Admin Group, but he tells me he
still can't edit the page, nor access the AdminGroup page. Maybe there is

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by David S Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, David!

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, David!

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, David!

Posted by David S Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Woonsan,

Posted by David Taylor <da...@gmail.com>.
Woonsan,

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Folks,

I've finished the implementation and documentation for this proposal.
You can already see the new documentation site of Web Content 2 here:
- http://portals.apache.org/applications/webcontent2/index.html

As you can see, I added a "Coming Soon" balloon there because it's not released yet.

>From the original proposal ( https://wiki.apache.org/portals/Applications/WebContentProposal ), I think everything was already done except of 3-9. I excluded it intentionally because apa-webcontent-2 is designed to be a framework now, being very extensible already, and so it can be easily done in real projects using the module.

The site documentation already contains a lot of information including architectural designs, module descriptions, configurations, customization methods, javadocs and so on.
So, please feel free to review the documentation and code and let us know if there's anything to ask or remark.

Best,

Woonsan

Posted by David S Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Woonsan,