Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Wade Jensen <Wa...@quantium.com.au> on 2017/06/06 00:35:51 UTC

Multi tenancy - isolated interpreters block each other?

Hello,

I have been experimenting with multi user modes with 0.7.1 in EMR. I set the Spark interpreter scope to be isolated per user, and then ran two different users side by side in different browser tabs. All the privacy and sharing features worked, but whenever I tried to run a spark sql query in both notes at the same time, one query will hang at 0% until the other is completed. (Note the queries where on different data, so it is not that the data was locked by one query).

Sorry if this is documented explicitly somewhere, but is this expected behaviour? Or should I be able to run multiple queries with separate interpreters in parallel?

I looked in the YARN scheduler GUI and could see two separate Spark processes, so I would have thought this should work.

Kind regards,
Wade Jensen

Re: Multi tenancy - isolated interpreters block each other?

Posted by Fabian Böhnlein <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wade,

how's the experimenting going? We usually run scoped 'Per Note'.

Have you played with

zeppelin.spark.concurrentSQL

wich is false by default?

Best,