Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/16 19:20:01 UTC

XPath Extractor : Drop Tidy Option

Hello,
Tidy option AFAIK used to allow using XPath Extractor for HTML.
I don't think it's needed anymore since we have CSS/JQuery extractor which
is:
- Up to date
- Powerful
- Performing much better than XPath

I propose to drop tidy options from XPath.
I even propose to think about dropping jtidy library which would mean :

   - Either Dropping AnchorModifier or finding a better alternative to
   jtidy to it if it's useful

IMO, we should drop it, as it doesn't work  with Distributed testing as it
requires keeping the previous SampleResult response Data to be able to work
which Stripping mode clears.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: XPath Extractor : Drop Tidy Option

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.
+0 for me, I have never used XPath Extractor for HTML

Antonio

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.
+0 for me

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,
@Graham, would you propose a PR to:
- deprecate the properties in GUI
- amend documentation to say it will be dropped  in N+2 and what is the
correct way

If you want to ask on user mailing list, feel free to do so.
Even if users use it, they should move out of it, but I am ok with the 2
steps process (Deprecate in N+1, Remove in N+2).

Thanks

Posted by Graham Russell <gr...@ham1.co.uk>.
+0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 November 2017 at 22:27, Philippe Mouawad
<ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 11:19 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 16 November 2017 at 19:20, Philippe Mouawad
>> <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > Tidy option AFAIK used to allow using XPath Extractor for HTML.
>> > I don't think it's needed anymore since we have CSS/JQuery extractor
>> which
>> > is:
>> > - Up to date
>> > - Powerful
>> > - Performing much better than XPath
>> >
>> > I propose to drop tidy options from XPath.
>> > I even propose to think about dropping jtidy library which would mean :
>> >
>> >    - Either Dropping AnchorModifier or finding a better alternative to
>> >    jtidy to it if it's useful
>> >
>> > IMO, we should drop it, as it doesn't work  with Distributed testing as
>> it
>> > requires keeping the previous SampleResult response Data to be able to
>> work
>> > which Stripping mode clears.
>>
>> Are you sure about that?
>>
> Yes, it is even documented in a note.
> To be clear,
> PreProcessor of Sampler N+1 requires access to Sample Result of Sampler N
> which would be stripped in distributed mode.
> It affects  Link Parser and Re-writing Modifier:
> -
> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTML_Link_Parser
> -
> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_URL_Re-writing_Modifier
>
> Surely that would break all PostProcessors that process response data?
>>
> No, because the problem is due to access to N-1 sampler's response data,
> not current N Sampler's response data

Unless I am missing something here, I think the way the sample data is
stripped is faulty.

AIUI the purpose of the stripping mode is to reduce the network
overheads, so only the returned data should be affected.

I would expect the server to keep the full data, and only strip the
data from the response.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.