Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sakthi <sa...@apache.org> on 2019/08/22 21:23:45 UTC

Flaky test and HBase-adhoc-run-tests job

Hello,

I would like to test the fix to one of the flakies (HBASE-22895). For that,
I want to utilize our HBase-adhoc-run-tests job to run the test repeatedly
(~50 times) with the fix and see if it helps before pushing in the fix. I
see that currently we only allow any of the branches from the hbase repo to
be used for the testing in the job.

Does that mean that I can create a branch(HBASE-22895) in the repo, push
the fix there, run the job & when the issue is rectified, push the fix &
delete the branch? Or is creation of new ad_hoc branches in the repo not
really necessary or isn't the right way?

Would appreciate your suggestions.

-Sakthi

Re: Flaky test and HBase-adhoc-run-tests job

Posted by Sakthi <sa...@apache.org>.
Thank you for all of your replies. I had a downstream discussion with Sean
regarding this and went ahead with the branch creation. After the jira went
in, i cleaned up the branch, Nick. I'll keep in mind what Peter suggested.
So that means by default nightly and flakies would run on such branches
unless the jenkins file is removed.

Sakthi

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I agree with Nick, feel free to create a feature branch if that makes your
testing easier.

One thing that I'd like to add is if you do not want to have nightly and
flaky test to runs on this branch (probably this is the case for this
specific feature branch) then you should remove the Jenkinsfiles under
dev-support.

dev-support/Jenkinsfile
dev-support/Jenkinsfile_GitHub
dev-support/flaky-tests/flaky-reporting.Jenkinsfile
dev-support/flaky-tests/run-flaky-tests.Jenkinsfile

I'm not familiar with the job you mentioned so probably you'll need to
keep dev-support/adhoc_run_tests/Jenkinsfile.

Peter

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sakthi,