Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Akshay Bhardwaj <ak...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/30 11:34:55 UTC

Decommissioning a new node when the state is JOINING

Hi Experts,

I have a cassandra cluster running with 5 nodes. For some reason, I was
creating a new cassandra cluster, but one of the nodes intended for new
cluster had the same cassandra.yml file as the existing cluster. This
resulted in the new node joining the existing cluster, making total no. of
nodes as 6.

As of now in "nodetool status" command, I see that the state of the new
node is JOINING, and also rebalancing data with other nodes.
What is the best way to decommission the node?

   1. Can I execute "nodetool decommission" immediately for the new node?
   2. Should I wait for the new node to finish sync, and decommission only
   after that?
   3. Any other quick approach without data loss for existing cluster?

Thanks in advance!

Akshay Bhardwaj
+91-97111-33849

Re: Decommissioning a new node when the state is JOINING

Posted by Akshay Bhardwaj <ak...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for prompt replies. The solutions worked!

Akshay Bhardwaj
+91-97111-33849

Posted by shalom sagges <sh...@gmail.com>.
I would just stop the service of the joining node and then delete the data,
commit logs and saved caches.
After stopping the node while joining, the cluster will remove it from the
list (i.e. nodetool status) without the need to decommission.