Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Marijn Stollenga <m....@gmail.com> on 2009/10/05 15:58:47 UTC

slow deleting

Hello,
I am new to this mailinglist. I am using CouchDB as backend to an
online game. I notice that deleting documents is really slow (about 4
deletes per second). Is there any way to improve this speed?
I use several views, do these views prohibit fast deletion? I added a
view is use in the database.

Thanks in advance,
Marijn

{
    "all": {
        "map": "function(doc) {if (doc.type == 'area'){emit(doc.name,
doc._id);}}"
    },
    "to_character": {
        "map": "function(doc) {if (doc.type == 'character'){emit
(doc.location, doc.name);}}"
    },
    "to_paths": {
        "map": "function(doc) {if (doc.type == 'path'){emit(doc.from,
doc.to);}}"
    },
    "path_to_area": {
        "map": "function(doc) {if (doc.type == 'path'){emit(doc.from + doc.name
, doc.to);}}"
    }
}

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
without that setting you are sync'ing each delete to disk (along with
updated database headers, etc). with it, your deletes are not yet
guaranteed to be durable. Someone else can state the magnitude of the
delay with the setting, but I think it's small. A call to
_ensure_full_commit periodically will put delete durability back under
your control, at least.

B.

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Marijn Stollenga <m....@gmail.com>.

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Marijn Stollenga <m....@gmail.com>.

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Marijn Stollenga <m....@gmail.com>.
For extra information, the put command takes equally long. I tried two
runs of my python script, which directly uses curl:
done in 12.9758610725  n_docs: 74 time per doc: 0.175349473953
done in 13.5452620983  n_docs: 74 time per doc: 0.18304408241

So on average it takes about 0.18 sec per doc.

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Marijn Stollenga <m....@gmail.com>.

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Marijn Stollenga <m....@gmail.com>.
I am running MacOSX with Apache CouchDB 0.11.0b821321. Is that an old
version?

Re: slow deleting

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.