Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Wout Mertens <wm...@cisco.com> on 2009/02/04 15:30:03 UTC

Re: [user] Re: Questions about couchDB algorithms

On Feb 4, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Alessio Pace wrote:

> I mean: how does it deal with dynamic networks, where nodes join and
> leave,
> and you have to know onto which you can push/pull ? I am obviously
> talking
> about cases in which you can't list the a priori list of few cluster
> machines on text file and copy it on all the machines.

There is nothing like that in place already. There is only the
replication mechanism and you're responsible for starting it, in both
directions if needed, tunneling the HTTP if needed, keeping track of
the nodes in the setup etc.

CouchDB just makes sure that you can replicate no matter what happened
between replication runs.

Wout.

Re: [user] Re: Questions about couchDB algorithms

Posted by Alessio Pace <al...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Wout Mertens <wm...@cisco.com> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Alessio Pace wrote:
>
>  I mean: how does it deal with dynamic networks, where nodes join and
>> leave,
>> and you have to know onto which you can push/pull ? I am obviously talking
>> about cases in which you can't list the a priori list of few cluster
>> machines on text file and copy it on all the machines.
>>

> There is nothing like that in place already. There is only the replication
> mechanism and you're responsible for starting it, in both directions if
> needed, tunneling the HTTP if needed, keeping track of the nodes in the
> setup etc.
>
> CouchDB just makes sure that you can replicate no matter what happened
> between replication runs.

Ok, thanks a lot for this explanation.

--
Alessio Pace.