Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/12/21 14:44:37 UTC

[Site] Download page preview

Folks

Please take a look at the new download page and let me know what you
think. I had to deploy it in the life environment in order to get
mirroring support working.

http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi

Currently I put all downloads on one page since we do not have that
many. Would you rather have a separate download page per versioned
produce (httpcore, httpclient, etc)?

Oleg

Re: [Site] Download page preview

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks
>
> Please take a look at the new download page and let me know what you
> think. I had to deploy it in the life environment in order to get
> mirroring support working.
>
> http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi
>
> Currently I put all downloads on one page since we do not have that
> many. Would you rather have a separate download page per versioned
> produce (httpcore, httpclient, etc)?
>
> Oleg

Perfect, links seem to work. All in one place is good: No need to
confuse our users with even more download pages. Maybe put HttpClient
3.1 on top? That will be the most looked-for/downloaded package at the
moment I guess.

Odi

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/

Re: [Site] Download page preview

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> Could you please change the HttpClient 3.x download page to refer to the
> HC download page? This is the last thing that prevents us from removing
> HttpComponents from Jakarta download page and dist directory.

I've dropped the HttpClient 3.x download page altogether and pointed
the navigation to the new download page instead. I also removed the
reports I didn't like, as far as possible. The JavaDoc plugin will
automatically generate three reports, two of which are pointless.
The site is redeployed.
I also removed our download pages from Jakarta and redeployed the site.
Finally, I've defined redirects for our dist and archive locations at
Jakarta. The archive redirect points to the new archive location. The
dist redirect points to the new download page on our website. I didn't
want to redirect directly to the dist directory at Apache, since that
would bypass the mirrors.

I'd like to leave things as they are over christmas (Gregorian). Once
we are convinced that everything works as expected, and I am back from
christmas break, I'll delete the releases from the old locations and
install READMEs where appropriate. The latter is for FTP mirrors, which
will not follow redirects in a synced .htaccess.
That applies to the Jakarta dist and archive locations. There is still
a copy of our stuff at Commons. I guess I'll subscribe to dev@commons
for a few days and give them a notice before hacking something there.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [Site] Download page preview

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 14:59 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi
> >
> > Currently I put all downloads on one page since we do not have that
> > many. Would you rather have a separate download page per versioned
> > produce (httpcore, httpclient, etc)?
>
> Looks good. I'm fine with a single download page for everything.
> That way, we don't need a download index page that links to all
> the individual download pages :-)
>
> In the first section, there is a missing whitespace in
> "distributiondirectories".
>
> Textual references to the 3.1 code usually call it
> "Commons HttpClient", without the Jakarta prefix.
> At least that's what we use on the Description page.
>
> Should we have a link to the archives on the download page?
>   Older releases are available from the
>     >archives</a>.
>
> Good work!

All problems corrected. Site redeployed.

Roland,

Could you please change the HttpClient 3.x download page to refer to the
HC download page? This is the last thing that prevents us from removing
HttpComponents from Jakarta download page and dist directory.

It looks like we are almost done.

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi
>
> Currently I put all downloads on one page since we do not have that
> many. Would you rather have a separate download page per versioned
> produce (httpcore, httpclient, etc)?

Looks good. I'm fine with a single download page for everything.
That way, we don't need a download index page that links to all
the individual download pages :-)

In the first section, there is a missing whitespace in
"distributiondirectories".

Textual references to the 3.1 code usually call it
"Commons HttpClient", without the Jakarta prefix.
At least that's what we use on the Description page.

Should we have a link to the archives on the download page?
  Older releases are available from the
    >archives</a>.

Good work!

cheers,