Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by COURTAULT Francois <Fr...@gemalto.com> on 2018/01/26 17:01:38 UTC

JMS messages replication

Hello,

I have looked at Replicated LevelDB Store page on ActiveMQ web site, even if LevelDB store has been replaced by KahaDB, in order to see if it can solve the technical issue I have.
But, as far as I have understood this solution won't solve my problem.

Let me describe it, in order to really see if the LevelDB Store is not a solution.

What I want to have is:
           JMS producers & consumers at Location 1 ----------> Location 1 JMS broker                                                                 Location 2 JMS broker  <- ------------- JMS producers & Consumers at Location2
                                                                                                                                         |                                                                                                           |
                                                                                                             Persisted messages at Location 1                                                 Persisted messages at Location 2

But also persisted messages at location 2 replicated at Location 1 and vice versa , thanks to a synchronization between the 2 JMS brokers or at persistent level.

My understanding of Replicated LevelDB Store is that we have a notion of Master and Slave, managed by ZooKeeper, and in the schema above, let's say that Location 1 JMS broker is the Master.
In such case, the second JMS broker, Location 2 JMS broker is not able to accept any client connections, according to your documentation, right ? So It can't consume JMS producers messages at Location2, right ?
This is why I think I can't use this solution.

So, is there a solution to my problem using Active MQ ? Yes, using, instead of KahaDB, a database with a built-in replication.
Cassandra could be used for example, but unfortunately I haven't found the fact that Cassandra is supported by ActiveMQ.

Still a blocking point.

Does it exist a solution to my technical problem using ActiveMQ ?

Best Regards.
________________________________

RE: JMS messages replication

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
On Jan 26, 2018 2:42 PM, "COURTAULT Francois" <
Francois.Courtault@gemalto.com> wrote:

Hello,

@Tim: should I consider that no solution to my problem exists using
ActiveMQ 5.x ?
               If the answer is yes at the previous question, does a
solution to my issue exists in Artemis ? If yes could you please provide me
some information (pointer, explanations, ...)  ?

I don't have personal experience with Artemis, but others on this list do.
And I'd be very surprised if the Artemis documentation on the ActiveMQ
website doesn't describe exactly how to configure a multi-node cluster,
since that's a feature that many users want from Artemis.

               I think I have seen some exchanges about that topic, sorry
to ask this again, but it is not so clear for me: will you release ActiveMQ
6.0 ? or Artemis will be ActiveMQ 6.0 ?

There's been lots of discussion, but as far as I know no decision yet.

@Jonathan:
        Linked to the last question asked to Tim, will you consider to
replace/update ActiveMQ by Artemis in the TomEE next major release or
...... before ;-) ?

This question is probably better asked on a TomEE mailing list rather than
this one.

Beast Regards.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Each message exists on one and only one node at a time in a network of
brokers, and is forwarded from broker to broker based on demand. If you're
looking for replication, for example to protect you from messages being
unavailable if a broker goes offline, a NoB won't give you that.

And replicated LevelDB is only applicable in a master-slave pair, where
only one node at a time is accepting connections, which doesn't sound like
what you want either.

It sounds like what you want is clustered operation, and 5.x doesn't
support that. But Artemis does, if you feel up for following the
suggestions Jonathan offered to give you for how to integrate it into TomEE.

Tim

Posted by COURTAULT Francois <Fr...@gemalto.com>.
Hello,