Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2004/03/30 10:52:37 UTC

Re: Subversion support on eclipse

Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Gianugo Rabellino dijo:

>>>-1 on dir structure, cvs hastle would kinda prevent blocks of becoming
>>>stable, right?
>>
>>Right (how I wish that we would switch to Subversion anytime soon...).
>

> Hi:
>
> I am waiting for Fedora Core 2 with Subversion included! When it happens I
> will push too for the Subversion usage. :-)

<rant>

Well, I feel a bit like an old aunt sitting on the porch and muttering
about the good old times, but I really feel at loss when I see what is
supposedly the cream of the crop of techies around the world becoming
sissies when a far better technology isn't supported in their favorite
GUI... I really fail to see why the most important Subversion migration
issue is lack of support in the IDE.

Actually, as a CLI diehard I'm used to fire Eclipse only for seriously
tangled stuff or for debugging: my typical development environment is
CLI-based anyway (vim+ant+cvs/svn) so I might be biased but, ah, the
good old times when Real Programmers did punched cards... :-)))

</rant>

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
     (Blogging at: http://www.rabellino.it/blog/)

Re: Subversion support on eclipse

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Gianugo Rabellino dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> Gianugo Rabellino dijo:

>>>Right (how I wish that we would switch to Subversion anytime soon...).
>>

>> Hi:
>>
>> I am waiting for Fedora Core 2 with Subversion included! When it happens
>> will push too for the Subversion usage. :-)
>
> <rant>
>
> Well, I feel a bit like an old aunt sitting on the porch and muttering
> about the good old times, but I really feel at loss when I see what is
> supposedly the cream of the crop of techies around the world becoming
> sissies when a far better technology isn't supported in their favorite
> GUI... I really fail to see why the most important Subversion migration
> issue is lack of support in the IDE.

ROTFL!

> Actually, as a CLI diehard I'm used to fire Eclipse only for seriously
> tangled stuff or for debugging: my typical development environment is
> CLI-based anyway (vim+ant+cvs/svn) so I might be biased but, ah, the
> good old times when Real Programmers did punched cards... :-)))
>
> </rant>

Hi Mr. Bruce Willis! :-D

Well, I just saw a glipse of "good times" on the corner of my eye. Then,
the world evolutioned as we know it today.

I almost never use a debugger.... In the good times there was not
debuggers and at the University they was almost fobidden in the first
year. The first one used was dbx (is this the right name?) in a UNIX
terminal, then Turbo Debugger from Borland (that was really cool!, I liked
the disassembler option) for Assembler and C.

In my nearly 2 years using Cocoon I run it maybe handful of time and that
is too many times. I prefer to insert some temporary log instructions
between the code when things goes really bad. But almost all the time the
syntax assistant of eclipse is enough to write good code.

vim just when ssh and CLI and some /etc editing.
cvs for a testing version of cocoon in another directory to test after
commiting.

My current development environment is:

eclipse: For cvs downloading and Java writing.
JEdit for anything that is not Java (XML, Javascript, etc).
ant for building all the stuff: Cocoon, OJB, Druid and others libs. In
some cases Ant called from eclipse.

:-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Subversion support on eclipse

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> ah, the
> good old times when Real Programmers did punched cards... :-)))

... and took 20 years to do anything ;-)

--
Stefano.