Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Anders Widman <an...@tnonline.net> on 2002/08/27 11:37:33 UTC

Re[2]: [users@httpd] URGENT: Getting hammered by an adsl user...logs growing...

> is it important that you keep the logs - if not, could you not just delete
> them (without restarting apache??)

Or use some for of log rotation?

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 05:43:02AM -0400, Ian M. Evans wrote:
> >Or use some for of log rotation?
>
> We already have log rotation in place. But we're not talking about a usual
> circumstance here. We're talking about some idiot pounding our server 15
> times a second for the last four hours. Our logs are growing a meg every few
> minutes...we're on a shared server...our host's support site is down...and
> I'm really really tired at 5:41 in the morning.

Well sure, but how much disk space do you have to work with?
Is setting up a 15-minute log rotation going to be "good enough" ?

With no disrespect intended, you don't appear to be able to block the
traffic (firewall) or filter the logs being written (mod_log_config), so
about the best you can do at this point is minimise the harm being done and
try to get a couple of hours sleep before hassling your service provider.

There really aren't many other options to suggest given the level of
control you have over the environment.

Zac

Re: [users@httpd] URGENT: Getting hammered by an adsl user...logs growing...

Posted by Ivan Albetkov <iv...@agava.com>.
Any packet filter? (ipfw, ipchains, iptables)

Ian M. Evans wrote:
>>Or use some for of log rotation?
>

> We already have log rotation in place. But we're not talking about a usual
> circumstance here. We're talking about some idiot pounding our server 15
> times a second for the last four hours. Our logs are growing a meg every few
> minutes...we're on a shared server...our host's support site is down...and
> I'm really really tired at 5:41 in the morning.

Ivan Albetkov
AGAVA Software (http://www.agava.com)

Re: [users@httpd] URGENT: Getting hammered by an adsl user...logs growing...

Posted by dale's stuff <st...@colony.net>.
Have you tried contacting the host of where the idiot is coming from?

Dale

Posted by "Ian M. Evans" <ia...@digitalhit.com>.