Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stefan Nilsson <th...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/15 15:31:57 UTC

Can't get ssl redirection to work properly

I am running Jboss 4.0.1 with the tomcat 5.0 and I have an
application.ear called pds running on it. To access the application
you simple write "http://adress:8080/pds"

Now I wanted to enable ssl on the webapp.war in the application so I
changed the server.xml and web.xml and created a keystore and
everything. I redirect from "8080" to "8443" and everything works as
long as do like this.
https://adress:8443/pds - works!!

http://adress:8080/pds/login.jsp - works! get redirected to
https://adress:8443/pds/xxxxx

http://adress:8080/pds - doesn´t work - I time out and get a no page
found error.

I really need the the old url "http://adress:8080/pds" to be
redirected to "https://adress:8443/pds "

Any suggestions??
Best regards
Stefan Nisson

Below follows some relevant sections from my server.xml and web.xml:

======= server.xml ==============

        <Connector
            port = "8080"
            address = "${jboss.bind.address}"
            maxThreads = "150"
            minSpareThreads = "25"
            maxSpareThreads = "75"
            enableLookups = "false"
            redirectPort = "8443"
            acceptCount = "100"
            connectionTimeout = "20000"
            disableUploadTimeout = "true"/>

        <Connector
            port = "8443"
            address = "${jboss.bind.address}"
            maxThreads = "100"
            minSpareThreads = "5"
            maxSpareThreads = "15"
            scheme = "https"
            secure = "true"
            clientAuth = "false"
            keystoreFile = "./keystore"
            keystorePass = "secret"
            sslProtocol = "TLS"/>

=============== web.xml =====================
<security-constraint>
        <display-name>Security for Julius PDS</display-name>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>Julius web Security</web-resource-name>
            <description>Redirect all to SSL</description>
            <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        </web-resource-collection>
        <user-data-constraint>
            <description>Protection should be CONFIDENTIAL</description>
        </user-data-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

Re: Can't get ssl redirection to work properly

Posted by Manfred Steurer <ma...@gamed.com>.
I think you have a problem with the url-pattern in the web.xml.
It redirects anything after pds/ to ssl - but in http://adress:8080/pds
there is nothing.

I don't have time to test now, but it may work without any url-pattern
or just * instead of /*.

- ms

Posted by Stefan Nilsson <th...@gmail.com>.