Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2004/04/01 20:33:09 UTC

Automatic gzip of tomcat logs in Linux?

Does Tomcat automatically gzip its logs on Linux Mandrake?

I noticed something odd in the Tomcat logs recently on our Linux server: apparently, every week (on Saturday), a process is coming along and gzipping all of the files in the logs directory of Tomcat. The system administrator says he didn't initiate this process and is unaware of anything in Mandrake that would do this automatically. That makes me wonder if Tomcat itself is doing this? We haven't seen any other logs (or files of any other type on this server) getting automatically gzipped.

We really don't want to do automatically zip everything in our Tomcat logs directory; I'd rather set up a cron job to archive or delete old logs at a schedule of my choosing. If Tomcat is gzipping the logs, I would like to turn it off: can anyone tell me how?

It would surprise me if Tomcat is the culprit here since Tomcat 4.1.24 on my Windows XP doesn't zip its logs but I thought I'd ask anyway. If anyone else is using Tomcat 4.1.x on Mandrake, maybe you can suggest an alternate cause for this behaviour. I don't want to throw stones, I just want to stop this behaviour.

We are running Mandrake 9.1 and are using Tomcat 4.1.24.

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"If you're getting something for nothing, you're not using your own credit card."

Re: Automatic gzip of tomcat logs in Linux?

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
Thanks! I think you may be on to something there.

Yes, the system administrator installed Tomcat from one of the Mandrake
RPMs. It may very well use logrotate for all I know; I didn't install Tomcat
on Mandrake and don't know much about Mandrake yet.

I'll run this by our system administrator; I expect to see a light bulb go
on over his head when he hears your theory ;-)

Thanks again!

Rhino