Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/30 11:29:20 UTC

Removal of Cas Editor Project support

Hello everyone,

the Cas Editor started with a special project type called
"Cas Editor Project" to mange annotation projects, this special
project is through recent work which went into the 2.3.1 release now
obsolete,
since 2.3.1 it is possible to open a CAS file from any project type.

The removal would remove a bunch of code from the Cas Editor.
The would be the following:
- Cas Editor Project model
- Corpus Explorer
- Analysis Engine and Cas Consumer run support (replaced for 2.3.2 by
the uimaj-ep-launcher plugin)

The removal will make the Cas Editor code base simpler and also remove
the dependency on
the eclipse ide plugin, which eases the integration of the Cas Editor
into RCP applications.

Any opinions?

Jörn

Re: Removal of Cas Editor Project support

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.
Tommaso

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 4/28/2011 7:47 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 4/28/11 1:27 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>> When exactly would you show this dialog?
>
> The dialog is now shown once the first time the user opens
> the Annotation Editor.

This sounds right to me.  The users is obviously thinking / focussed on the
Annotation Editor at that point, and is more likely to be able to read and
understand what you're showing, at that time.

-Marshall

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
What do you think about an eclipse intro page instead?
As far as I know, it can be shown when the plugin was updated,
or when it is installed the first time, the removal could be described
there.

Jörn

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/11 10:35 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Could we do something to make its removal give the right guidance to let people
> who are "used to" the other method continue to use the CAS editor?
>
> I think we need some way to gracefully migrate people :-)

After the Cas Editor project support is removed the Cas Editor will not
be able
to locate the type system for these projects anymore. To avoid that we
could add some
migration code which knows how to find the type system for Cas Editor
projects.

We could also do the migration step wise, first deprecate the Cas Editor
project
and then remove it later, that will give our users more time.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2011/3/31 Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>

> Could we do something to make its removal give the right guidance to let
> people
> who are "used to" the other method continue to use the CAS editor?
>
> I think we need some way to gracefully migrate people :-)

I agree,
Tommaso

Re: Removal of Cas Editor Project support

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Could we do something to make its removal give the right guidance to let people
who are "used to" the other method continue to use the CAS editor?

I think we need some way to gracefully migrate people :-)

-M