Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> on 2014/08/08 18:55:34 UTC

Re: totalEntitySizeLimit

I can make SecureProcessingConfiguration recognize the SAX property
http://apache.org/xml/properties/total-entity-size-limit (i.e. you can get
it and set it.)

However there's something  I'm missing in terms of making it actually pay
attention to it.

I've added this code to checkEntitySizeLimits:

        // If a specific value is set on the reader use that; otherwise use
system value
        int totalEntitySizeProperty = ((Number)
getProperty(TOTAL_ENTITY_SIZE_PROPERTY)).intValue();
        int totalEntitySizeLimit = totalEntitySizeProperty > 0 ?
totalEntitySizeProperty
                : TOTAL_ENTITY_SIZE_LIMIT_SYSTEM_VALUE;

However my tests and the debugger tell me that nothing is ever
calling checkEntitySizeLimits. So there's probably something I don't
understand about setting up the parser.  What I'm doing is this:

 public class TotalEntitySizeTest extends TestCase {

    private static final String TOTAL_ENTITY_SIZE_LIMIT_PROPERTY_NAME
        = "http://apache.org/xml/properties/total-entity-size-limit";

    public void testSAXTotalEntitySizeLimitSystemProperty() throws
Exception {
        XMLReader reader = new SecureParser();
        reader.setProperty(TOTAL_ENTITY_SIZE_LIMIT_PROPERTY_NAME,
Integer.valueOf(10000));
        assertEquals(Integer.valueOf(10000),
reader.getProperty(TOTAL_ENTITY_SIZE_LIMIT_PROPERTY_NAME));

        try {
            reader.parse(new InputData("pEntitySP.xml"));
            fail("Expected SAXParseException");
        }
        catch (SAXParseException se) {
            assertTrue(se.getMessage().indexOf("\"10,000\"") != -1);
        }
    }

    private static class SecureParser extends SAXParser {
        SecureParser() {
            super(new SecureProcessingConfiguration());
        }
    }

}

It fails with a heap out of memory. Any suggestions?

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: totalEntitySizeLimit

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
It's still on my TODO list but unfortunately haven't had any time (aside
from answering the odd e-mail) for Apache lately.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Technologies and WAS Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> wrote on 09/19/2014 05:41:08
PM:

<mrglavas@ca.ibm.com

Re: totalEntitySizeLimit

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > IBM Toronto Lab
> > E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> > E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org
>
> > Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> wrote on 07/25/2014 02:30:10
> > PM:
> >
> > > Should this property be supported by all configurations are just by
> > > the SecureProcessingConfiguration?
> > >

> > > On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Michael Glavassevich
> > <mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> > > Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> wrote on 07/08/2014
> 04:08:58
> > > PM:

> > > Following naming conventions of Xerces' other properties it would
> > probably
> > > be something like:
> > > http://apache.org/xml/properties/total-entity-size-limit. Still TBD.

> > > There's no date yet. Any discussion about that would happen on this
> > > mailing list. We know we're long overdue though.

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: totalEntitySizeLimit

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.