Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk> on 2005/08/02 14:57:27 UTC

setting up maillists in James 3.0

Hi,

I have just installed James version 3.0 from
http://cvs.apache.org/dist/james/bin/.

I have not encountered any problems, yet, just that the maillists do not
seem to work. I have tried to set the lists up using the templates in
james-listmanager.xml, james-liststores.xml and miResources.xml but James
cannot startup if I uncomment the "&listserverConfig;" line in config.xml.
Must I recreate all the lists?

I cannot find documentation on setting the lists up in version 3.0. Can
anybody help?

Sincerely,
Marc de Oliveira

Re: setting up maillists in James 3.0

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
The error is in the "spoolmanager". Beside that I don't understand much of
the error message:

ERROR   2005-08-03 17:07:35.758 [Phoenix.] (): Component named
"spoolmanager" failed to pass through the Initialization stage. (Reason:
javax.mail.MessagingException: Can't initialize:;
  nested exception is:
 org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Can't
initialize:).
ERROR   2005-08-03 17:07:35.758 [Phoenix.] (): There was an error running
phase "startup" for Block named "spoolmanager". (Reason: Component named
"spoolmanager" failed to pass through the Initialization stage. (Reason:
javax.mail.MessagingException: Can't initialize:;
  nested exception is:
 org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Can't
initialize:).).
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component
named "spoolmanager" failed to pass through the Initialization stage.
(Reason: javax.mail.MessagingException: Can't initialize:;
  nested exception is:
 org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Can't
initialize:).
 at
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.fail(LifecycleHelper.java:289)
 at
org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.startup(LifecycleHelper.java:159)
 at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.startup(DefaultApplication.java:480)
 at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.doRunPhase(DefaultApplication.java:428)
 at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.runPhase(DefaultApplication.java:364)
rethrown from
javax.mail.MessagingException: Can't initialize:;
  nested exception is:
 org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Can't
initialize:
 at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.CommandListservManager.init(CommandListservManager.java:257)
 at org.apache.mailet.GenericMailet.init(GenericMailet.java:129)
 at org.apache.james.transport.MailetLoader.getMailet(MailetLoader.java:60)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.initialize(JamesSpoolManager.java:250)
 at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)

Sincerely,
Marc de Oliveira

Re: setting up maillists in James 3.0 - new problem

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> I got the server up - but now all maillist commands are sent
> to the "address-error" folder.
>
> It seems that James do not recognize the address
> MyList-subscribe@MyDomain (while MyList@MyDomain works fine).
>
> Where should I set these things up?

Have you configured your matcher?
<mailet match="CommandListservMatcher=MyList@MyDomain"
class="CommandListservManager">

If you need more help you should also attach log messages and your full
configuration. It is difficult to tell what is wrong without configurations
and logs.

Stefano

Re: setting up maillists in James 3.0 - new problem

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
I am still trying to get the maillists to work on James 3.0.

I am running on Windows XP but I don't have spaces in the path names. Still,
I am not sure how the <resources> path should be defined in
james-listmanager.xml.

I have tried with the following formats:
<resources>c:\homepageprograms\james\james-3.0-dev\apps\james\conf\miResources.xml</resources>
<resources>c:\homepageprograms/james/james-3.0-dev/apps/james/conf/miResources.xml</resources>
<resources>/homepageprograms/james/james-3.0-dev/apps/james/conf/miResources.xml</resources>
miResources.xml (because the file is located in the same folder as
james-listmanager.xml)
/opt/james/apps/james/conf/miResources.xml (default setting)

Can somebody tell me what format I should use?

Sincerely,
Marc

RE: setting up maillists in James 3.0

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.