Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by simon maskell <si...@stannah.co.uk> on 2014/11/13 15:58:18 UTC

Ofbiz Testimonial

Hi everyone, I don’t often post on the mailing list but I was speaking to one
of the committers at the weekend and they thought it would be good to share
our Ofbiz development with the community, with a view to getting more
non-ecommerce users using Ofbiz.

We have been working with Ofbiz for 2.5 years and plan to rollout Ofbiz to 5
companies across 8 countries and a total of 1800 user.

So far we have completed 1 company which comprises of
•	Telecentre System and lead management
•	Sales Orders
•	Invoicing
•	Product configurators
•	CRM
•	Human Resource
•	Purchase Orders
•	Stock Management
•	Hand Held

All of the above applications have taken the Ofbiz components as a starting
point and then we have extended and added our own customisations(some quite
heavily) to get Ofbiz working how we want it to.
Going forward we are looking to introduce

•	Service Management, this will allow us to make planned warranty visits and
breakdowns. We have a network of 11 branches around the UK and 250 service
engineers out on the road.
•	MRP – We manufacture in 2 different countries
•	Installation Scheduling – We install our products and need a way to
optimise our installations team.
•	We are also continuing to make changes to the current live Ofbiz
components, as we remove more of our legacy systems.

Most of the above will be introduced into the remaining 4 companies and we
feel confident that each company/country will be quicker than the previous
as our code base builds up.

My view on Ofbiz is that it’s a great product once you have taken time to
really understand it and its probably this that is the biggest barrier for
companies taking it up. When we first started looking at Ofbiz almost
everyone outside of IT was against it, we had to do numerous presentation
and explanation as to why we should go with Ofbiz as opposed to going with a
product like SAP.  Now we have got it working for one company and people can
see the benefits,  we are now being asked to delivery it into the business
faster(Now our presentations are setting expectation on when it will be
delivered)

Anyone wanting to introduce Ofbiz, should be prepared for the difficulties
at the beginning of the project but I am sure by the end of the project they
will be more than please they chose Ofbiz.

Just like to thank all the committers and contributors who have worked on
producing a great product.

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Simon for sharing and congratulations!

Would you mind adding your "story" to the https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+Stories page ?

For that you need to register on Confluence and give us your username. Then we can open the wiki to you as a contributor.

Else I can copy the story there for you...

Jacques

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Many congratulations and thanks so much Simon for sharing your experience.
Its really great to review such adoption stories, it surely serves as a
great feedback too which helps planning future shape for the project.

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thank you for the great testimonial Simon!
I am glad that OFBiz works for your project and congratulations for your
successful results.

Best regards,

Jacopo

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

Nice testimonal. Sharing your experiences and plans is appreciated.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I know what you are speaking about ;)

Jacques

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
Jacques: indeed. Didn't know that existed (my fault for not paying
attention!). Thanks.

On 11/13/2014 11:02 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Le 13/11/2014 16:44, Nick Rosser a écrit :
>> Simon,
>>
>> Congrats and thanks for sharing. Couple of interesting points come to
>> mind:
>>
>> You mentioned: "as opposed to going with a product like SAP"
>>
>>  * proof that OFBiz can compete at the highest level
>>  * and anecdotal evidence is that an SAP implementation starts at a few
>>    million $'s
>>  * and there are lots of stories of multi-million $ implementations
>>    that still run into trouble
>>  * I think this is an excellent case for OFBiz
>>
>> How nice would it be to have a collection of case studies like this
>> formalized somewhere on the web?
>
> Why not
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+Stories
> ? It seems it fits.
>
> Jacques
>

>>  * suspect we'd have problems publishing on ofbiz.org (understandable,
>>    it can't get too "salesy")
>>  * perhaps some other domain?
>>  * It would be nice to think that as a community we could leverage this
>>    type of case study and get adoption with some larger companies
>>
>> You mentioned "should be prepared for difficulties ..."
>>
>>  * agreed, but compared to a huge commercial product (like SAP) this
>>    learning curve is still more manageable
>>  * and more cost effective
>>
>> Again, congrats!
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On 11/13/2014 10:32 AM, Heidi Dehaes wrote:
>>> Congratulations Simon.
>>>
>>> Nice big project !
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Eric
>>>
>>> Olagos bvba
>>> Heidi Dehaes
>>> Kerkstraat 34
>>> 2570 Duffel
>>> Belgium
>>> http://www.olagos.com
>>> http://www.olagos.be

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

RE: XBRL Format Reports

Posted by Ajinkya Gadewar <aj...@buffersoftware.com>.
Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the reply.

All financial statements which need to be submitted to government agencies in this format.

Best Regards,
Ajinkya Gadewar

Privacy & Confidentiality Notice:

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, and/or privileged material. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system and notify the sender. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ajinkya,

XBRL Format Reports

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Testimonials are fine in Open Source projects.
They will get edited by the other contributors if they are not useful or
too much self promotion.

One thing that can be done is put the case study on your own web site
and provide a link to it in a discussion on the OFBiz LinkedIn groups.

Ron

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
Simon,

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Heidi Dehaes <in...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Simon.

Nice big project !

Regards,
Eric

Olagos bvba
Heidi Dehaes
Kerkstraat 34
2570 Duffel
Belgium
Tel. :     015/31 53 04
GSM :    0485/22 35 80
E-mail : info.olagos@gmail.com
http://www.olagos.eu
http://www.olagos.com
http://www.olagos.be
http://www.olagos.nl

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Divesh Dutta <di...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. One of the line you mentioned in your
email is:

When we first started looking at Ofbiz almost
everyone outside of IT was against it, we had to do numerous presentation
and explanation as to why we should go with Ofbiz as opposed to going with a
product like SAP.

Could you please share presentations and explanations you did to adopt
OFBiz ? It will help surely help to increase adaptability of OFBiz .

Thanks in advance
--
Divesh Dutta.

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by simon maskell <si...@stannah.co.uk>.
Hi

Divesh

I can't go into the details around the presentation as a lot of them have
financial information in them.

When looking at Ofbiz the first thing that attracted us was cost, our
estimates for a 5 year period is that Ofbiz would be around 5-6 times more
cost effective than going down the normal ERP route.

We needed to persuade people that Ofbiz could deliver what we wanted, so we
did a proof of concept at the beginning of the project. We also created a
theme in our co-operate colours, management love to see something that looks
nice!!!

We talked a little about the costs of setting up an Ofbiz environment and
currently we have a server set-up that would be expensive to replicate in a
normal ERP implementation. We have 3 test servers and 3 live servers in the
UK and have have just deployed a server into a country outside the UK. All
of this is done at just the cost of the hardware.

The reality of doing the presentations was that, management were at best
sceptical that we could deliver what we had promised but the owners of the
company trusted us and gave us the go ahead to proceed.

Just to be clear we are an internal IT team that have employed Ofbiz experts
to help us, we don't supply IT resources to companies but I Am happy to meet
up with anyone who wants to see what we have been up to.

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Jacques

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Sumit Sabu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 23/01/2015 09:54, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> It seems you have both good ideas, I agree!
> This could be the references page I spoke and tried to do some days ago but reverted because indeed there are some rules to respect on me static site.
me the (I wonder how my mind or fingers replaced the by me)

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques

No worries - I can put it on my 'To do' list as it is related to some of the
work I'm already doing around the documentation tidy up  - and our main
website was part of that.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thanks Sharan for your input, I think that approach can also work good.

Thanks,

Pranay Pandey
HotWax Media
www.hotwaxmedia.com

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Jacques, Sharan,

Wiki is a good place to put user stories/testimonials but shouldn't we have
one page on OFBiz website for the same, WDYT?

Thanks,

Pranay Pandey
HotWax Media
www.hotwaxmedia.com

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Jacques Le Roux <

Re: Ofbiz Testimonial

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Simon,