Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Robert Voliva <rv...@gatessolutions.com> on 2008/04/30 05:09:25 UTC

Success with app servers in Eclipse WTP - Hot Deploy

Hello,

We are trying to migrate from MyEclipse to Eclipse - at the same time
bringing in Ivy.  All is well with Ivy, but we're having issues finding an
app server that works well with WTP in Eclipse.  We typically use Tomcat,
but the known issues with Tomcat/Eclipse where the hot deploy doesn't work (
http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ#Why_does_my_context_reload_after_I_publish_a_change_that_only_involves_a_changed_JSP.3F
WTP Tomcat FAQ ) keeps us from going with Tomcat.

I've tried Glassfish, but it keeps erroring out on startup.  It complains
about an "invalid TLD resource path", and two "ClassNotFoundException"s on
filters that are most definitely deployed with the application.

So, I guess my question is two-fold.  One, any ideas what's wrong with
Glassfish here?  Second, and perhaps most importantly, what app servers have
you had success with using Eclipse WTP and hot deploy?

Thanks,
Bobby

Re: Success with app servers in Eclipse WTP - Hot Deploy

Posted by kroekle <kr...@gmail.com>.
To ask Bobby's question another way, when using the IvyDE plugin what success
have people had with using ivy to control the classpath/deployment to the
local app server for development & debugging?  We are having problems
getting the correct projects/jars to deploy in order to do local development
work.  Our "application" is broken up into several eclipse "projects" and we
would like to be able to use ivy to control what needs to be deployed and to
be able to debug through Eclipse without having to run build scripts and
restarting the app server.

Do some app servers work better then others with IvyDE?  Is there some
special configuration that needs to be done?  What successful setups have
people used?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt

Posted by Michael Laccetti <mi...@s2g.ca>.
You're right; MyEclipse needs to stop putting stuff in, and fix some of the
outstanding problems (deploying issues with Maven springs to mind), but the
application server support is pretty great.

Regarding Jetty, you don't actually have to use WTP to do that.  You can
launch it as an embedded server using the regular "Run As" functionality
within Eclipse.  The hot deployment of code works quite well, though I'm not
sure how it would handle dependent projects.  There is a pretty good blog
post about it here:
http://www.codecommit.com/blog/java/so-long-wtp-embedded-jetty-for-me

Mike

-----
--
Michael Laccetti                                 (416)558-9718
S2G Limited                                       http://www.s2g.ca/

RE: Success with app servers in Eclipse WTP - Hot Deploy

Posted by Michael Laccetti <mi...@s2g.ca>.
This question isn't really Ivy-related, but I'll pollute the list since this
is an interesting issue.  The WTP issue seems to suggest that if you have
two projects open in Eclipse, and if one depends on the other, that the
deployment will trigger an entire context reload.  So, I assume you have to

Posted by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com>.
I would recommend asking WTP Tomcat related questions on the WTP newsgroup.
See the eclipse.webtools newgroup at  http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/
http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/ .  For the Glassfish support, a Glassfish
related newsgroup or forum would be better, maybe this one for the Glassfish
plug-ins http://forums.java.net/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=65
http://forums.java.net/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=65

Cheers,
Larry