Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by frank ernest <do...@mail.com> on 2014/07/15 17:26:35 UTC

newbie cant import files into repo

Hi, I created a repo using svnadmin create in a dir called trunk (that's what your supposed to do, right?) The operation succeeded but the files that I want to version (c source which I should have versioned long ago.) I can't seem to add to the repo. When the code is ready for alpha release I plan to host it on source forge but until then It's just me working on the code and my online connection is intermittent so I decided to create my repo locally. I'm not subscribed so please include my email in your reply.

Thanks, David

Re: newbie cant import files into repo

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 18, 2014, at 1:59 PM, frank ernest wrote:

>> No, you "svnadmin create" your repositories in a central place on your server. Then you configure your
>> Subversion server (svnserve or mod_dav_svn) to serve those repositories. Then you import code into those
>> repositories via the URLs exposed by your Subversion server. This and other basics of Subversion should be
>> amply described in the SVN Book at http://svnbook.org/
>
> Any particular section? I've been reading
> "Version Control with Subversion [DRAFT]
> For Subversion 1.8
> (Compiled from r4501)"
> But have not noticed what you speak of in there.
>
> Thanks, again

You should Reply All so that your reply goes to the list too, not just to me personally. Sometime (like now) I forget to reply to messages.

It has been years since I have read the book but at the time I found it beneficial to read it in order from the beginning.

Chapter 1 defines fundamental Subversion concepts. Chapter 2 describes basic usage. Chapter 6 discusses setting up your server. Those all seem like they would be applicable.

Re: newbie cant import files into repo

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> Hi, I created a repo using svnadmin create in a dir called trunk (that's what
> your supposed to do, right?) The operation succeeded but the files that I
> want to version (c source which I should have versioned long ago.) I can't
> seem to add to the repo. When the code is ready for alpha release I plan to
> host it on source forge but until then It's just me working on the code and my
> online connection is intermittent so I decided to create my repo locally. I'm
> not subscribed so please include my email in your reply.
>
> Thanks, David

You can create your repository in any folder you want. It doesn't have to be in a folder named trunk. Trunk is usually a folder that you create insider your repository.

I assume you want to do this all locally.

So, create your repository.

md TempRepoRoot
cd TempRepoRoot
svnadmin create MyRepo

Once you do that you want to do a check out.

md Projects (probably in your user folder)
cd Projects   (probably in your user folder)

Now do your checkout with the file protocol:

svn co file:///c:/%HOMEPATH%/TempRepoRoot/MyRepo MyWorkingCopy

Now you have checked out your repo you can create some folders:

Cd MyWorkingCopy
Svn mkdir trunk
Svn mkdir branches
Svn mkdir tags

Then, check that in...

Svn ci -m "Initialize repo"

Now you probably want to checkout trunk, or perhaps switch to trunk. Up to you.

Cd ..
svn co file:///c:/%HOMEPATH%/TempRepoRoot/MyRepo/trunk ProjectTrunk

Then, copy all your files into there. Do an svn add and Bob's your uncle.

Re: newbie cant import files into repo

Posted by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com>.
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014, frank ernest wrote:

> Hi, I created a repo using svnadmin create in a dir called trunk (that's
> what your supposed to do, right?) The operation succeeded but the files
> that I want to version (c source which I should have versioned long ago.)
> I can't seem to add to the repo. When the code is ready for alpha release
> I plan to host it on source forge but until then It's just me working on
> the code and my online connection is intermittent so I decided to create
> my repo locally. I'm not subscribed so please include my email in your
> reply.

David,

   What command did you use to create the repository? Did that directory
exist prior to running 'svnadmin create'?

   What syntax are you using to import the source code into the repository?

Rich