Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2001/01/13 18:12:45 UTC

src/ directory

One of my latest problems dealing with APR's multiple directories was find
the objects to link. There were two problems with this, one caused by lack
of src/, and one partly:

1) If src/ existed in APR, then finding the objects would be a simple "find"
   call. As it is, I must iterate over all the subdirectories and piecemeal
   build up the list of objects.
   [ this is used for linking and date detection ]

2) A simple find does work because of the presence of MM in there. A better
   organization would be apr/src/ and apr/mm/. That would allow a simple
   "find" for the src objects, and it would clarify that MM is a subpackage
   rather than part of the source lump.

So... that's my report on dealing with APR's multiple directories, as
opposed to APRUTIL's single directory.

Of course, my previous comments on simplicity, cleanliness, and
understandability of the top-level (when src/ is used) still apply.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: src/ directory

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> 2) A simple find does work because of the presence of MM in there. A better
>    organization would be apr/src/ and apr/mm/. That would allow a simple
>    "find" for the src objects, and it would clarify that MM is a subpackage
>    rather than part of the source lump.

MM does not belong in the top-level directory.  It is not used on all of
our platforms, and it is only used to implement shared memory.  Logically,
it belongs exactly where it is.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131