Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/11/21 15:06:03 UTC

API to determine max limits (vcores, vram, &c from the client?)

Is there any way to determine the max resources you can ask for from an RM
queue before you actually create the AM? I know the AM gets that data once
it's been created, but without knowing those limits client side, you can't
tune the requirements of the AM itself

If not, I'm going to file a JIRA to add this info to QueueInfo, so a call
to ApplicationClientProtocol.getQueueInfo() will let a YARN client find it
out.

-steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: API to determine max limits (vcores, vram, &c from the client?)

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
ah, make sense.

(I didn't run into that as I'm mostly using unmanaged AMs)

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> I want to know the limits I can use when creating an AM, such as ask for
> one with the max allowable RAM. I can do that for any container the AM asks
> for, but not for the initial AM/app request
>

> On 21 November 2013 14:37, Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > Steve, what kind of tuning do you need to do based on the max resources
> > that would affect the creation/configuration of the Yarn client itself?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way to determine the max resources you can ask for from an
> > RM
> > > queue before you actually create the AM? I know the AM gets that data
> > once
> > > it's been created, but without knowing those limits client side, you
> > can't
> > > tune the requirements of the AM itself
> > >
> > > If not, I'm going to file a JIRA to add this info to QueueInfo, so a
> call
> > > to ApplicationClientProtocol.getQueueInfo() will let a YARN client find
> > it
> > > out.
> > >
> > > -steve
> > >
> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity
> reader
> > that
> > immediately
> > >

> > --
> > Alejandro
> >

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Alejandro

Re: API to determine max limits (vcores, vram, &c from the client?)

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Is there any way to determine the max resources you can ask for from an RM
> queue before you actually create the AM? I know the AM gets that data once
> it's been created, but without knowing those limits client side, you can't
> tune the requirements of the AM itself
>
> If not, I'm going to file a JIRA to add this info to QueueInfo, so a call
> to ApplicationClientProtocol.getQueueInfo() will let a YARN client find it
> out.
>
> -steve
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE