Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2021/05/14 21:28:19 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.4 (vote candidate 1)

Dear community,

This is our first voting candidate for the 12.4 release of Apache NetBeans.
Please note all requirements below for validating sources and convenience
binaries before voting.

Apache NetBeans 12.4 constitutes all clusters in the Apache NetBeans Git
repository, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the
underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that provide
the Java SE, Java EE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of Apache
NetBeans.

Build artifacts are available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.4/vc1
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/12.4/v1

They were built by the Jenkins pipeline:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release124/22/

We are primarily voting on:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.4/vc1/netbeans-12.4-source.zip

SHA512:
f8ee78d9ccba513234f855fc516bf251746eb030f6c747239b0db3da2f32932dc9431898fc334a22ebb25f4caec58c292b04d261736bc8de4eb6ead585dffc04

KEYS file:
https://downloads.apache.org/netbeans/KEYS

Associated with the primary source item we have, generated with the
pipeline mentioned above:

-- under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.4/vc1
binaries associated with the source
netbeans-12.4-bin.zip
as well as update content under nbms folder

-- under
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/12.4/vc1
you will find the platform cluster build
netbeans-platform-12.4-bin.zip
netbeans-platform-12.4-source.zip

Release specific wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.4

------------------------

Voting Requirements

Before voting +1 you are required to download the signed source code
package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on your
own platform, along with also verifying that the package meets the
requirements of the ASF policy on releases - see:

http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#management

In particular, you should (at least) follow these steps.

1. Download the artefact to be voted on and unzip it.

2. Check that the artefact does not contain any jar files, except for:
     -
platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar
     - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
     - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
     - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
     - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
     which are only jars by their name

3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file

4. Build it using the README provided by the artifact.

5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by the
build process and try running it.

In addition to checking the sources, you should check the associated
convenience binary zips and nbms at the artifact links above. As well as
checking any artifact functions correctly, you should check that it has
been correctly signed by a PMC member, and that the source being voted on
is sufficient to build the relevant binary.

Separate votes will be held on other convenience binaries, including
installers and Maven artifacts. Those will be dependent on this vote
passing.

This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and -1 as
usual. (Please justify -1)

Please mark your vote with (binding) only if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC
member to help with voting admin.

Only respond if you are going to vote, i.e., this is NOT a discussion
thread.

NetBeans 12.4 will be released if and when this vote passes.

Thank you to all contributors for all your hard work!

Geertjan and Neil
Release Managers for Apache NetBeans 12.4

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.4 (vote candidate 1)

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

- Checked for additional JAR files
- Verified signature, LICENSE, and NOTICE
- Built on MacOSX High Sierra with JDK 8u221.
- Run and tested with JDK 16

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

And closing this vote thread, thanks all.

Please, no more voting for 12.4 from this point.

Gj

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 5/14/21 4:28 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> This is our first voting candidate for the 12.4 release of Apache NetBeans.
> Please note all requirements below for validating sources and convenience
> binaries before voting.

+1 (binding)

Verified sha512sums and crypto signatures.
Built from source on Linux under JDK 11.0.11.
Tested both source build and binary by doing some work on my gopher
server for the Commodore 64 :)

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.4 (vote candidate 1)

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- Checked jar files
- Verified the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
- BUILD SUCCESSFUL (openjdk version "1.8.0_292")
- Tried creating a PHP project and running CC. Works fine.

Thanks,
Junichi

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ku...@webnetproject.com>.
+1

- verified sha512 and asc signatures for sources and convenience binaries
- verified LICENSE and NOTICE
- built on Fedora 34 with jdk-11.0.6

Best regards,
Kai

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

> We are primarily voting on:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.4/vc1/netbeans-1
> 2.4-source.zip

SHA is OK, GPG signed OK.

Builds with JDK-11 and then it runs with JDK-8 on Ubuntu 20.04
-jt

PS: We shall be almost ready to build just on JDK-11+ and run on any JDK8+ in
some forthcoming release cycle...

Posted by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- SHA verified, signatures valid
- LICENSE and NOTICE ok in src/binary zip
- builds OK (JDK 8, Ubuntu 19.04)
- basic sanity checks on java/maven project editing passed.

-Svata

Posted by Tomáš Procházka <ka...@razdva.cz>.
+1

- verified sha512 and asc signatures for sources and convenience binaries
- verified LICENSE and NOTICE
- sources don't contain any other .jar files than mentioned
- built on Ubuntu 20.10 with JDK 1.8.0_292

Tested both built NetBeans and convenience binaries
- opened PHP project - navigation, CC, code analysis works
- opened NetBeans sources - navigation and CC works

For last two weeks I used NetBeans 12.4-rc2 and 12.4-rc3 built from
sources for PHP development daily in my job without any issues.

Sources contain these additional .jar files, which is hopefuly OK:
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/2.2/lib/fake221.jar
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/3.3.1/lib/fake331.jar
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/source.jar
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/3.0.5/lib/fake305.jar
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/4.0.0/lib/fake400.jar

All were added in
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/commit/95d4fd144eabe7dfc07fe7c5e7c8d81e1e26d013

Thank you all.

Tomáš Procházka

Re: [External] : [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.4 (vote candidate 1)

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
+1
Built from sources on macOS, JDK 11.0.11
Tried several Java projects based on Gradle. These work incl. Java debugging.
verified sha512
Martin

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 4:15 AM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> Verified hashes, signing, files, etc.
>
> Built with JDK 8 on Ubuntu 20.04, tested with JDK 16.
>
> Verified binary zip, including module versions match release git hash.
>
> The change between rc3 and vc1 in Java platform downloader seems a
> little flaky?  Few exceptions and possibly missing info?  Not a reason
> to hold up.
>
> As Tomáš mentioned, we should include these additional JARs in the
> allowed list -
> contents verified as OK.
>
> ./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/2.2/lib/fake221.jar
> ./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/3.3.1/lib/fake331.jar
> ./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/source.jar
> ./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/3.0.5/lib/fake305.jar
> ./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/4.0.0/lib/fake400.jar

I find extra jars

$ find . -name "*.jar"
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/core/core.jar
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/modules/org-netbeans-modules-gradle.jar
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/modules/org-netbeans-core-windows.jar
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/modules/org-netbeans-modules-projectui.jar
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/modules/org-netbeans-modules-maven.jar
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/modules/org-netbeans-modules-maven-indexer.jar
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/modules/org-openide-loaders.jar
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/modules/org-netbeans-modules-java-j2seplatform.jar
./java/java.lsp.server/nbcode/branding/modules/org-openide-text.jar

The SHA matched, it built w/JDK 11, it launched. I don't know how to vet
the keys.

+1 from me.

Regards,

Will Hartung

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.4 (vote candidate 1)

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Verified hashes, signing, files, etc.

Built with JDK 8 on Ubuntu 20.04, tested with JDK 16.

Verified binary zip, including module versions match release git hash.

The change between rc3 and vc1 in Java platform downloader seems a
little flaky?  Few exceptions and possibly missing info?  Not a reason
to hold up.

As Tomáš mentioned, we should include these additional JARs in the
allowed list -
contents verified as OK.

./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/2.2/lib/fake221.jar
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/3.3.1/lib/fake331.jar
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/source.jar
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/3.0.5/lib/fake305.jar
./java/maven/test/unit/data/mavenmock/4.0.0/lib/fake400.jar

Thanks Geertjan, and everyone!

Best wishes,

Neil