Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu> on 2010/02/01 13:06:54 UTC

Maven and WTP integration

Hi all,

we have pretty large project, successfully "mavenized" with Maven 2,
split into several module projects under one parent pom. We are using
m2eclipse plugin in Eclipse 3.5.

Project tree looks like:

parent/         (pom project)
  +-- lib-core/ (jar project)
  +-- lib-web/  (jar project, with shared webapp folder)
  +-- app1/     (war project)
  +-- app2/     (war project)
  +-- app3/     (war project)

parent project serves as agregator, its pom.xml defines common settings.
lib-web project depends on lib-core project, application projects depend
on both lib projects. All projects share same version, we are releasing
all applications at once through parent pom.

For everyday develepment we use SNAPSHOT postfix in version, dependecies
on module projects are specified as "project dependencies", so changes
in library projects in Eclipse cause rebuild dependent application
projects. Snapshots are disabled in our repository (Archiva).

But when I try setup WTP support through maven-eclipse-plugin goal
"eclipse:eclipse" and some necessary changes in Eclipse, publishing to
Tomcat creates only WEB-INF/lib folder with (correct) out-of-project
jar dependencies and WEB-INF/classes folder with CURRENT project
classes. No binaries from "project dependencies" lib-core and lib-web.

I have tried to change org.eclipse.wst.common.component file in many ways,
e.g. <dependent-module>, but without success.

Another weird thing: when I try to include resources from shared webapp
folder from lib-web project and use relative source-path like this:

    <wb-resource deploy-path="/"
                 source-path="../lib-web/src/main/webapp"/>

publish can't copy subfolders content to Tomcat. Must explicitly specified:

    <wb-resource deploy-path="/btns"
                 source-path="../lib-web/src/main/webapp/btns"/>
    <wb-resource deploy-path="/icons"
                 source-path="../lib-web/src/main/webapp/icons"/>
    <wb-resource deploy-path="/imgs"
                 source-path="../lib-web/src/main/webapp/imgs"/>

Please, what is the right WTP setup for multi modules configuration with
"project
dependencies" and shared resources? Or is there any documentation for file
org.eclipse.wst.common.component?

I'm going little bit crazy... thank God debugging with Jetty works like
a charm,
either with shared resources (must hack with
WebAppContext.setResourceBase() in
starter class).

Thanks a lot.

Martin Schayna

Re: Maven and WTP integration

Posted by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu>.
Tried but with very same poor result. As far as I understand, this function
checkouts project tree from SVN and creates .project and .classpath and
other necessary files for Eclipse. In my case there are these files in
SVN and I'm successfully using Eclipse for development of this project.
I am able to debug this project inside Eclipse in Jetty server. What
I want now is only add support for debugging same project in Tomcat
container inside Eclipse (aka WTP).

Martin

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu>.
We are using Subversion, but WTP support has nothing to do with Subversion,
in my opinion. Maybe "Checkout as Maven" in m2eclipse plugin can do some
magic project configuration if original project is not mavenized, but we
have
mavenized project and need only add some WTP support (i.e. ability to debug
project in Tomcat inside Eclipse).

Very simple single module project works for me in WTP, but not multi module
project.

Martin

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu>.
Eclipse Platform 3.5.1
Eclipse WST/JST 3.1.1
m2eclipse 0.9.9 (but very same with stable 0.9.8)
Maven 2.0.9
Java 1.6.0_14

When I try to append WTP support into war application project by this

$ mvn -Dwtpversion=2.0 eclipse:m2eclipse

and then:

run Eclipse,
convert WTP configuration (Ctrl+1 QuickFix),
add Maven dependecies to WTP (Ctrl+1 QuickFix),
setup server Tomcat (in Server view),
publish application to Tomcat (in Server view),
run server

....ClassNotFoundException throws.

When I look into folder wtpwebapps in workspace Tomcat structure, I see
that
publish operation was not complete:
- WEB-INF/classes contains current project classes (OK)
- WEB-INF/lib contains all dependent out-of-project jars (OK)
- there aren't binaries of dependent jar projects from my workspace (NOT OK)
- there aren't resources of shared webapps folder from other project in
my workspace (NOT OK)

After some tricky editing of file
.settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component
I'm able to publish shared webapps folder, but not for jar project
dependencies...

Any ideas?

Thank you

Martin Schayna

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu>.
  Thank you for your insight into the future. Well, then the best
solution will be removing all references to maven-eclipse-plugin from
pom.xml and relaying on M2Eclipse. It clears all my concerns about this,
thanks again.

Martin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
> [...]

>>> folder from lib-web project and use relative source-path like this:
>>>
>>>     <wb-resource deploy-path="/"
>>>                  source-path="../lib-web/src/main/webapp"/>
>>>
>>> publish can't copy subfolders content to Tomcat. Must explicitly
>>> specified:
>>>
>>>     <wb-resource deploy-path="/btns"
>>>                  source-path="../lib-web/src/main/webapp/btns"/>
>>>     <wb-resource deploy-path="/icons"
>>>                  source-path="../lib-web/src/main/webapp/icons"/>
>>>     <wb-resource deploy-path="/imgs"
>>>                  source-path="../lib-web/src/main/webapp/imgs"/>
>>>
>>> Please, what is the right WTP setup for multi modules configuration with
>>> "project
>>> dependencies" and shared resources? Or is there any documentation for file
>>> org.eclipse.wst.common.component?
>>>
>>> I'm going little bit crazy... thank God debugging with Jetty works like
>>> a charm,
>>> either with shared resources (must hack with

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Maven and WTP integration

Posted by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Michel Pawlak <mi...@etat.ge.ch>.

Hi

Posted by Manuel Grau <ma...@gmail.com>.
Of course,

This is the *org.eclipse.wst.common.component* from a jar module in my app:

<project-modules id="moduleCoreId" project-version="1.5.0">
    <wb-module deploy-name="agrored-dao">
        <wb-resource deploy-path="/" source-path="/src/main/java"/>
        <wb-resource deploy-path="/" source-path="/src/main/resources"/>
        <wb-resource deploy-path="/" source-path="/src/test/java"/>
        <wb-resource deploy-path="/" source-path="/src/test/resources"/>
    </wb-module>
</project-modules>

And this is the same file for my war module:

<project-modules id="moduleCoreId" project-version="1.5.0">
  <wb-module deploy-name="agrored-web-1.0">
        <dependent-module deploy-path="/WEB-INF/lib"
handle="module:/resource/aao-commons/aao-commons">
            <dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
        </dependent-module>
        <dependent-module deploy-path="/WEB-INF/lib"
handle="module:/resource/agrored-service/agrored-service">
            <dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
        </dependent-module>
        <dependent-module deploy-path="/WEB-INF/lib"
handle="module:/resource/agrored-entity/agrored-entity">
            <dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
        </dependent-module>
        <dependent-module deploy-path="/WEB-INF/lib"
handle="module:/resource/agrored-dao/agrored-dao">
            <dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
        </dependent-module>
        <dependent-module deploy-path="/WEB-INF/lib"
handle="module:/resource/agrored-dto/agrored-dto">
            <dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
        </dependent-module>
        <dependent-module deploy-path="/WEB-INF/lib"
handle="module:/resource/agrored-util/agrored-util">
            <dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
        </dependent-module>
    <property name="context-root" value="agrored-web"/>
    <wb-resource deploy-path="/" source-path="src/main/webapp"/>
    <property name="java-output-path" value="/target/classes"/>
    <wb-resource deploy-path="/WEB-INF/classes"
source-path="src/main/resources"/>
        <wb-resource deploy-path="/WEB-INF/classes"
source-path="/src/main/java/model"/>
        <wb-resource deploy-path="/WEB-INF/classes" source-path="/"/>
        <wb-resource deploy-path="/WEB-INF/classes"
source-path="/src/main/java/com/ttec/aao/agrored/controller"/>
  </wb-module>
</project-modules>

This project has been created using *maven-archetype-j2ee-simple* this way:

*mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes
-DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-j2ee-simple
-DgroupId=com.ttec.aao.agrored-DartifactId=agrored*

We have 3 modules: *ear*, *projects *and *servlets*. *Servlets*, is a
modular project too where we can create war modules. At the momente we have
only one war module: *agrored-web*. This module has dependencies with all
jar modules inside *projects *module. We have 6 jar modules inside *projects
*. Finally, ear module has a dependency with our war module.

I wrote a tutorial at work, but it's written in spanish. Do you know
spanish?
***
*

--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" Albert
Einstein

Re: Maven and WTP integration

Posted by Martin Schayna <ma...@abra.eu>.
Hi Manuel,