Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no> on 2014/09/27 19:23:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6

We moved core to 1.6 some time ago. Time to move everything else as well ?

Kristian (Who's ready to say "1.7" but we stop by 1.6 first :)

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
+1

On Sep 27, 2014, at 1:23 PM, Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no> wrote:

> We moved core to 1.6 some time ago. Time to move everything else as well ?
>
> Kristian (Who's ready to say "1.7" but we stop by 1.6 first :)

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

Be not afraid of growing slowly, be only afraid of standing still.

 -- Chinese Proverb

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Michael; we are heavily into jdk7 file-system related features, most
of which is covered by feature detection/jdk detection. Plexus
requires 1.7 to build but still supports 1.5. I'll split a bottle of
champagne the day we can drop 1.5/1.6 support from plexus and various
utility projects with reflection, it's a disaster.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Let's use the [discuss] thread constructively then; do we call a
[VOTE] to move *everything* to 1.7 ? I think we are ready to move to
1.6 without actually having a vote, so if you for some reason oppose
the move to 1.6 please say so in the "discuss" thread or I will simply
conclude that we move everything to 1.6 once everyone has had their
say.

For the scope of this discussion I think it's safe to assume that
anyone calling for 1.7 *also* accepts 1.6.

Kristian

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <19...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
+2

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
+1 for making toolchains part of the distribution.

Regards
Mirko
--
Sent from my mobile

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
+100 .. I totally agree.

RIP Maven 2.x

EOL Maven 3.0.x very soon

And more importantly... update the website and clearly document that state.

manfred

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> cumbersome/costly.
> >

> > really true...But the problem is that migration takes time/money......
> >

> >> But I think coupling java version -> maven version like you're doing
> >> is basically flawed; for most users this is not about java versions.
> >

> > It's a point of view...as i mentioned...consistency...
> >
> > You are right that i'm coupling this...if it's flawed...it depends...
> >
> > The java versions are the most cases where an update takes much longer
> than
> > you think...i have customers which are running on Java 1.5 and Java 1.6
> (IBM
> > based as Anders...1.6 +1...)...
> >
> > I have written down my thoughts....but of course we can go a different
> > way...i just wanted to give my thought and to reconsider things like
> > this...for a further decision...
> >
> > 1.6 might be a good alternative...to go with...

Sent from my phone

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Kristian,

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Karl; I think you are mixing concerns somewhat -making things a little
more complex than they need to be.

I would propose that most people using 2.2.1 are not doing so due to
the java version, but simply because they have not ported their build
to 3.X due to a bag of different constraints, java version being only
one of them.

So most users would be able to run 2.2.1 with jdk 1.6. And they can
still run 2.2.1 with jdk 1.5, they'll just be missing
the upgrades. This is the "cost" of running old software, and the

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
1.6 is fine by me. Working actively with a customer using IBM's JDK 1.6,
which is still supported by IBM, will make me vote -1 on a move to 1.7
currently.

/Anders

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le lundi 29 septembre 2014 21:16:56 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>
wrote:
> > Hi Kristian,
> >
> > On 9/27/14 7:23 PM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
> >> We moved core to 1.6 some time ago.
> >
> > As far as i know starting with Maven 3.2.1...was the first one...
> >
> >> Time to move everything else as well ?
> >
> > We have at the moment a large number of plugins which have minimum Maven
> > 2.2.1 (JDK 1.5)...and few are currently at Maven 2.0.6  (that's only for a
> > limited amount of time)
>
> I think it would be wise to allow Karl-Heinz to continue with his
> excellent work on unifying the Maven core dependencies of many of our
> plugins. That will make them consistent in requiring Maven 2.2.1 (and
> Java 5).
>
> When this work is done I think it is a good time to change the
> ${javaVersion} property in the Maven parent POM, and say that all
> future release from the Apache Maven project will require Java 6. That
> would be across the board, core, shared components, plugins,
> everything.
+1

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Kristian,
>
> On 9/27/14 7:23 PM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>>
>> We moved core to 1.6 some time ago.
>

> As far as i know starting with Maven 3.2.1...was the first one...
>

>> Time to move everything else as well ?
>

> We have at the moment a large number of plugins which have minimum Maven
> 2.2.1 (JDK 1.5)...and few are currently at Maven 2.0.6  (that's only for a
> limited amount of time)

I think it would be wise to allow Karl-Heinz to continue with his
excellent work on unifying the Maven core dependencies of many of our
plugins. That will make them consistent in requiring Maven 2.2.1 (and
Java 5).

When this work is done I think it is a good time to change the
${javaVersion} property in the Maven parent POM, and say that all
future release from the Apache Maven project will require Java 6. That
would be across the board, core, shared components, plugins,
everything.

> The next round should be to lift up to Maven 3.0.5 at minimum which implies
> to left Maven 2 finally behind.....
>
> Making it visible to people by using 3.X versions for the plugins or
> something similar...
>
> ...afterwards i see the next round to lift up to Maven 3.1.1...
> and after that i see the next lift up to Maven 3.2.1 which implies Java
> 1.6...and so on....
>
> It's a longer way...which takes time...
>

>> Kristian (Who's ready to say "1.7" but we stop by 1.6 first :)
>>

> If we go the above path it's of course longer but more consistence from the
> user point of view...using Maven 3.0.5 which works with Java 1.5 ...and the
> plugins as well...etc...
>
> Of course from the technical point of view it's not that good ;-(...
>
> So from my site i would vote with +0 ...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl-Heinz Marbaise

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6