Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Thomas Kratz <ei...@googlemail.com> on 2010/05/31 14:27:06 UTC

How to find performance bottleneck: Best practises ?

Hello all,

I only have little understanding of what's going on in http communication as
I use to be a high level consumer. I use httpClient with
EasySLLSocketFactory together with spring's HttpInvoker to do remote
communication over SSL. As I'm new to this all, please forgive me if I'm
asking in the wrong place, its just a guess. I have the spring remoting
servlet running on an embedded jetty 6.x with a self signed certificate.
Everything is fine if I do this over http. If I switch to https I experience
a real performance (20-30 seconds per request on local connection) issue on
some of the early requests I make. I cannot tell by now if its from the
first request on. I start up my client and if I make some requests in the
startup code its fine. But some requests later the requests simply take an
awful lot of time, next time they are executed its milliseconds. I have
traced down my services that execute as fast as normal, so it must (should?)
be somewhere something in the whole infrastructure thats going wrong. It
happens reproducable at every client startup, so I can only guess its coming
from the httpclient, but I may be completely wrong with that. I turned on
TRACE and saw that getResponseOutput is eating the time. But I can see no
errors nor anything strange in the log.

Can you give me any starting points where I should hunt for the problem with
that ? Did I give enough information ?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Regards Thomas
--
http://www.buchmanager.com
http://thomaskratz.blogspot.com

Re: How to find performance bottleneck: Best practises ?

Posted by Thomas Kratz <ei...@googlemail.com>.
OK please forget my last mail.
I tried to increase the thread pool on jetty and now it seems to be gone
away.
Just a stupid beginner :)

Regards Thomas