Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2015/07/27 22:18:37 UTC

GANGLIA broken in Ambari 2.1?

In the Centos7 HDP2.3 stack, it attempts to run '/etc/init.d/httpd' which doesn't exist, rather than using the 'service' shortcut that does still work, even though it forwards to 'systemctl'.  I injected a script into /etc/init.d/httpd to work around this, but the stack should probably be fixed.

In the Centos6 HDP2.2 stack, after everything finishes installing Ambari says that Ganglia Server is down, even though both httpd and gmetad are up and responsive.  You can restart it fine, and it says it's up for a minute or so, then says it's down.  Processes are still running, no errors in the logs.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?

Also, since it now installs the 'ganglia-gmond' package instead of the versioned 'ganglia-gmond-3.5.0', it gets a conflict with the Centos6 EPEL repo, which has version 3.7 available.  I disabled the epel repo for now.

I'll try to gather more details and open a JIRA, but just wondered if someone else had run into this and/or solved it.

Thanks,
Greg

Re: COMMERCIAL:Re: GANGLIA broken in Ambari 2.1?

Posted by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
I'm aware of Metrics, but Ganglia is in fact still available and from what I read, supported.  We didn't want to convert over immediately because of the dependence on Hbase/Zookeeper requiring additional resources on the cluster, and the fact that it's a brand new thing vs something that's been around and battle-hardened for years.

Greg

From: Jayesh Thakrar <j_...@yahoo.com>>
Date: Monday, July 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<ma...@ambari.apache.org>" <us...@ambari.apache.org>>
Subject: COMMERCIAL:Re: GANGLIA broken in Ambari 2.1?

Hi Greg,

There's no Ganglia now in Ambari 2.1.

It has been replaced by an internal/local HBase and a metrics collector subsystem.

You will find some details on the wiki.

Thanks,
Jayesh

Re: COMMERCIAL:GANGLIA broken in Ambari 2.1?

Posted by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
Apparently the gmetad service was running and the hdp-gmetad wrapper service didn't recognize that and tried to start it again on the same port.  Had to chkconfig gmetad off and service gmetad stop on the server before handing it off to Ambari.  I'll submit a JIRA tomorrow.

Greg