Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gregory Piñero <gr...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/02 15:44:20 UTC

SVN and windows file permissions

Hey guys,

I'm trying to move our web project into a subversion repository.  I
already created a new repository and imported everything from the live
folder 'wwwroot'.  I want to set up a system like that suggested by
this page:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#website-auto-update

My question is; will subversion maintain the security permissions on
the files from the live directory?  I'm using IIS on Windows server
2003 and it's important that it keeps the same permissions because
otherwise the website breaks.

If subversion doesn't keep the permissions perhaps a workaround could
be to have the post-commit script also reset the proper permissions to
the files since I know what permissions I always want them to have.
(Does anyone know how to pragmatically set permissions in windows
server 2003?  I can't even think of a good search phrase for that!)

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Re: SVN and windows file permissions

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 02.06.2005, at 17:44, Gregory Piñero wrote:

> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#website-auto-update
>
> My question is; will subversion maintain the security permissions on
> the files from the live directory?  I'm using IIS on Windows server
> 2003 and it's important that it keeps the same permissions because
> otherwise the website breaks.
>
> If subversion doesn't keep the permissions perhaps a workaround could
> be to have the post-commit script also reset the proper permissions to
> the files since I know what permissions I always want them to have.

My suggestion is that your project should have a "scripts" directory
which is also in the repository. Then you can create a setup script
which should be run every time a new working copy is checked out, or
which could also be run by the post-commit hook after every update.
This way you can define in this script the commands necessary to set
the permissions correctly, and if the procedure ever changes, you just
update the script and check it in. I'm starting to do this on my
projects and think it'll work well. This could be considered equivalent
to the build process done for non-web-site projects to make them work
after checkout. You could even write this script as a makefile if you
really wanted. I personally am using PHP so that we don't have yet
another programming language to think about.

Someone else will have to provide the specifics for doing this in a
Windows shell. For Unix / Linux / BSD / Mac OS X it would of course
just be a set of chmod and possibly chown commands. A PHP script would
also work on Windows, and could, if written properly, be made to work
on both Windows and Unix-like systems.

Re: SVN, SSH and Windows - what's the path?

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    Jim> I've successfully setup SSH ( I can access the server
    Jim> w/Putty) and can connect to my repository using regular
    Jim> SVN. Client is WinXP, server is Win2003.

    Jim> I can't seem to get the correct path however:

    Jim> Z:\>svn list svn+ssh://192.168.0.10/myproject/trunk
    Jim> jpriest@192.168.0.10's password: svn: No repository found in
    Jim> 'svn+ssh://192.168.0.10/myproject/trunk'

    Jim> I've googled and dug through the mailing list archive but so
    Jim> far no luck.

    Jim> Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that you're somehow sending the wrong
user name.  Try something like this instead:

        Z:\>svn list svn+ssh://jim@192.168.0.10/myproject/trunk

--
... belief in the omniscient hacker is indistinguishable from
belief in a Supreme Being.  There is simply no argument one can

SVN, SSH and Windows - what's the path?

Posted by Jim Priest <ji...@clickculture.com>.
I've successfully setup SSH ( I can access the server w/Putty) and can
connect to my repository using regular SVN. Client is WinXP, server is
Win2003.

I can't seem to get the correct path however:

Z:\>svn list svn+ssh://192.168.0.10/myproject/trunk
jpriest@192.168.0.10's password:
svn: No repository found in 'svn+ssh://192.168.0.10/myproject/trunk'

I've googled and dug through the mailing list archive but so far no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jim

Re: SVN and windows file permissions

Posted by Mark Parker <ma...@msdhub.com>.
Gregory Piñero wrote:
> Actually let me go ahead and ask the same question for Linux/Unix.  I
> can't find documentation anywhere on Subversion and file permissions!

Subversion doesn't manage the file permissions. If you want a command
line tool to do in Windows, there's cacls.exe which should be included
in your copy of Windows.

Mark

Re: SVN and windows file permissions

Posted by Gregory Piñero <gr...@gmail.com>.