Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Victor Hadianto <vi...@nuix.com.au> on 2003/05/02 17:27:15 UTC

High number of files in the index

Hi list,

I'm experiencing a high number of files in the Lucene index, even after
running optimize I still have over 600 files in my Lucene index. Now the
scary thing is that's about the same number of document that I indexed.

This problem didn't happen before, the only change that I can think of is that
I'm changing the documents being indexed. Previously all documents have the
same fields, but now each document has a different set of field indexed.

Is this the problem? Will this cause the high number of files in my index
directory?

Please someone say no .. because otherwise I'm dead.

victor

Re: High number of files in the index

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
What I said (or meant to say) is that the size of the index depends on not
just the number of fields, but also on how many of the fields have their
contents stored in the index.  (If, as you state, you don't store any field
contents in the index, this is not an issue with you.)

Terry

Posted by Victor Hadianto <vi...@nuix.com.au>.
> I believe it's not only the number of fields, but how many fields you
> select to have their contents included in the index.  If you don't need the
> content accessible via the index, that can make a big difference.

Hmm so are you saying even if I have a lot of fields as long as they are not
stored in the index they are fine? That's strange because all my fields are
indexed but not stored in the index. Or perhaps I misunderstood what you
mean?

> Terry

victor

Re: IndexReader.lastModified();

Posted by Tatu Saloranta <ta...@hypermall.net>.
On Tuesday 06 May 2003 05:42, Rob Outar wrote:
> Yeah it looks like I am going to have to handle it internally instead of
> relying on IndexReader.lastModified(), oh well so much for
> cross-platform-ism :-)

[regarding ext2-fs 'feature' on Linux]

I think this 'feature' might be useful thing to document in a FAQ. Perhaps
there should be a platform-dependancies FAQ (or sub-section). Wasn't there
also some concern regarding Windows platform, where deleted status of a file
was not reliably accessed by Java (or something similar)?

Also, do you think ext3 has same problem? (or if it has, other new journaling
file systems).

-+ Tatu +-

RE: IndexReader.lastModified();

Posted by Rob Outar <ro...@ideorlando.org>.
Yeah it looks like I am going to have to handle it internally instead of
relying on IndexReader.lastModified(), oh well so much for
cross-platform-ism :-)

Thanks,

Rob

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

IndexReader.lastModified();

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Victor,

I believe it's not only the number of fields, but how many fields you select
to have their contents included in the index.  If you don't need the content
accessible via the index, that can make a big difference.

HTH,

Terry

Posted by Victor Hadianto <vi...@nuix.com.au>.

Posted by Aviran Mordo <am...@infosciences.com>.
AFAIK the number of files depends among other things on the number of
fields.
Aviran