Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> on 2008/03/10 11:17:49 UTC

[all] GSoC

Any idea for GSoC [1]? I think it would be worth participating

cheers
--
Torsten

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCodeMentor

Re: [all] GSoC

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> Any idea for GSoC [1]? I think it would be worth participating
VFS or IO: File Alteration Monitor with native support (I can sponsor
some basic code-base for linux). If it is located in IO or in another
package it should be possible to plugin VFS. Means, should not deal with
plain java.io.File only as JCIFS (Samba) might support somehting like
this for network shares too.

VFS: Native File-System implementation for linux/windows/mac for
performance reasons. The Eclipse guys did something in this area to
avoid successive stat calls etc. Should make things a little bit faster.
Though, that one would not be on my top list.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [all] GSoC

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/10/08, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd been struggling - Codec has some phonetic codecs to implement, but
>  there's not a huge amout there. CSV could be hooked to Performance.
>  There are lots of places that could use improved unit tests.
>
>  Generally though - it always feels that we lack something big enough.
>  Which makes sense; we're a very componentized project.
>
>  So... how about having a pool of tasks that they then work on? Across
>  components?
<snip/>

Sure (say, "improve test coverage by n% in couple of components --
could be sandbox -- of your choice"). Event better if that uncovers
bugs :-)

> That would be a lot more realistic. In many ways a Commons
>  Intern. I think we could do one this year, put together a chunk of
>  tasks and get them digging into them. Then I could see us doing a
>  couple each year.
>
>  I'm happy to volunteer as a mentor if that cross-component approach
>  sounds good. Maybe we could do two this year.
<snap/>

Sounds good to me.

-Rahul

Re: [all] GSoC

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd been struggling - Codec has some phonetic codecs to implement, but
>  there's not a huge amout there. CSV could be hooked to Performance.
>  There are lots of places that could use improved unit tests.
>
>  Generally though - it always feels that we lack something big enough.
>  Which makes sense; we're a very componentized project.
>
>  So... how about having a pool of tasks that they then work on? Across
>  components? That would be a lot more realistic. In many ways a Commons
>  Intern. I think we could do one this year, put together a chunk of
>  tasks and get them digging into them. Then I could see us doing a
>  couple each year.
>
>  I'm happy to volunteer as a mentor if that cross-component approach
>  sounds good. Maybe we could do two this year.

I like the idea - but after pondering it for a bit and looking for
things students could do (we've got a lot of tasks); I really
shouldn't commit to this. Just trying to sit down and work on
Lang/Collections/Codec is showing that I don't have the time to offer
:(

Hen

Re: [all] GSoC

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] GSoC

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
The results are out:

http://code.google.com/soc/2008/asf/about.html

Apache Commons got no slot this year despite some really good
applications received. The ranking system was a bit biased toward
projects with more mentors, hopefully this will be fixed for the next
Summer of Code.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [all] GSoC

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt a écrit :
> Feel free to add it to the wiki. Would you do the mentoring?

Yes I'll be available to do the mentoring.

> Just wondering if that isn't a bit too little work for 1-2 month full time.

Writing only one configuration is probably not long enough for 2 months
(btw writing properly the JNI part of the Windows configuration is
certainly not trivial). The project may include several formats to
implement (JSON+OGDL+YAML). This lets the freedom to the student to
start with the format he prefers.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [all] GSoC

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.