Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by jackdawson <ab...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/26 16:15:30 UTC

Axis2 and CXF - Handling WSDLs differently

Here is what I found:
	1.) When I used Axis2 Eclipse Codegen plugins (Generate Java source code
from WSDL file) to generate code from this WSDL, it didn't allow me.
		It kept throwing me an error -
			"An error occurred while completing the process -
java.lang.InterruptedException
			 No element type is defind for the message xxxxx"
	2.) Then, I switched to CXF 2.0.8 and tried to generate the client as I did
with Axis2 and surprisingly, it got through and created the client side
stubs.
		CXF doesn't see this WSDL as a bad one.

		Please correct me if I'm wrong. To my knowledge, when you define "type"
attribute for the "message" and not the "element" attribute then it has to
be an "rpc" style.
		Axis2 knows it but CXF ignores it.

		Can anyone let me know why there's a difference in handling the WSDLs?
		If I modify the WSDL as Axis2 wants me to and generate just the client and
hit the service (which is already existing), will I still be able to
succeed?

Here is the WSDL I'm talking about:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<wsdl:definitions targetNamespace="urn:login.safe.two.us"
	xmlns:apachesoap="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap"
	xmlns:impl="urn:login.safe.two.us"
	xmlns:intf="urn:login.safe.two.us"
	<wsdl:types>
		<schema elementFormDefault="qualified"
			targetNamespace="urn:login.safe.two.us"
			xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

			<complexType name="TestLoginType">
				<sequence>
					<element name="eid" maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="1" type="xsd:string" />
					<element name="key" nillable="true" type="xsd:string" />
				</sequence>
			</complexType>

			<complexType name="TestLoginTypeResponse">
				<sequence>
					<element name="failedReason" nillable="true" type="xsd:string" />
					<element name="status" type="xsd:boolean" />
				</sequence>
			</complexType>

		</schema>
	</wsdl:types>

	<wsdl:message name="testLoginRequest">
		<wsdl:part name="testLoginRequestAttributes" type="impl:TestLoginType"/>
	</wsdl:message>

	<wsdl:message name="testLoginResponse">
		<wsdl:part name="testLoginResponseAttributes"
type="impl:TestLoginTypeResponse"/>
	</wsdl:message>

	<wsdl:portType name="LoginServicePortType">
		<wsdl:operation name="testLogin">
			<wsdl:input message="impl:testLoginRequest" name="testLoginRequest" />
			<wsdl:output message="impl:testLoginResponse" name="testLoginResponse" />
		</wsdl:operation>
	</wsdl:portType>

	<wsdl:binding name="LoginServiceSoapBinding"
type="impl:LoginServicePortType">
		<wsdlsoap:binding style="document"
transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http" />
		<wsdl:operation name="testLogin">
			<wsdlsoap:operation soapAction="" />
			<wsdl:input name="testLoginRequest">
				<wsdlsoap:body use="literal" />
			</wsdl:input>
			<wsdl:output name="testLoginResponse">
				<wsdlsoap:body use="literal" />
			</wsdl:output>
		</wsdl:operation>
	</wsdl:binding>

	<wsdl:service name="LoginService">
		<wsdl:port binding="impl:LoginServiceSoapBinding" name="LoginService">
			<wsdlsoap:address
location="http://JISLOGINDEV:8080/JisAuthentication/services/safelogin" />
		</wsdl:port>
	</wsdl:service>
</wsdl:definitions>

		Thanks.

Re: Axis2 and CXF - Handling WSDLs differently

Posted by jackdawson <ab...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Keith. You are helpful and I kind of get your point.

I wonder how would I know whether the constraint is satisfied or not.
Is there any tutorial/documentum or any other resource that would help me in
fulfilling this?
I might really need a little push on this.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jackdawson <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, Now this is where the ambiguity of the WSDL comes into play. As it was
originally incorrect we are not sure what the payload should actually look,

Try adding another TestLoginType element around the SOAP body,

<soapenv:Body>
              <q0:TestLoginType>
               <q0:TestLoginType>
                       <q0:eid>ABC123</q0:eid>
                       <q0:key>KEY123</q0:key>
               </q0:TestLoginType>
               </q0:TestLoginType>
 </soapenv:Body>

I'm not sure whether this would help but with an incorrect WSDL thats the
best you could do. Trial and error. (You should be able to modify this on
TCPMon and resend). BTW where did you get this WSDL from? (Just curios, was
it generated if so by what?).

Thanks,
Keith.

Posted by jackdawson <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jackdawson <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jackdawson <ab...@gmail.com>.

			<ns1:eid xmlns:s1="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
			<ns1:key xmlns:s3="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM, jackdawson <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I posted in there too. They say that it's not mandatory to follow the WS-I
> basic profile as they are just guidelines and this is what they exactly
> said:
>

> http://www.nabble.com/Axis2-and-CXF---Handling-WSDLs-differently-to19696717.html
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Axis2-and-CXF---Handling-WSDLs-differently-to19696717.html

Interesting replies on the CXF list. Its true that its not required for a
WSDL to be WS-I  compliant to be valid. But irrespective of what WS-I says I
think this WSDL is invalid (According to the WSDL spec). Section 3.4 [1] of
the WSDL spec states that "The *style* attribute indicates whether the
operation is RPC-oriented (messages containing parameters and return values)
or document-oriented (message containing document(s))." It clearly states
there that referring to types from a part is RPC and referring to elements
from a part is document style.

I don't see how its possible for parts to be RPC and the binding to be
document. This sure could be confusing and this is the very reason why WSDL
2.0 got rid of this mess. In WSDL 2.0 everything is doc/lit.

Thanks,
Keith.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl#_soap:operation

Posted by jackdawson <ab...@gmail.com>.