Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Geert Lugtenberg <ge...@poort80.nl> on 2013/03/13 17:00:45 UTC

cache alternate 301 redirect

Hi,

I want to have two cache alternates of an page: http://origin.server.com/ If you navigate to this page, the origin serves a '301 moved permanently', and redirects to the https version of the same url.  However, TS offloads the ssl connection; so all ssl requests are terminated, a header is added, and the request is send through to the origin server. So the cached url is always http, but the difference is an extra header at an https request, stating is was ssl offloaded. I put this extra header in the vary response header, so TS knows it is a cache alternate.

Now if I navigate, with empty cache, to http://origin.server.com/ I get a redirect loop, because the 301 is cached and the resulting https request is a cache HIT on the 301. It shouldn't be, because the https request has an extra header that is in the vary response header of the cached page.

However, if I navigate to https://origin.server.com/ with empty cache, all goes fine. After that I can go to the non ssl version and the 301 is also cached as an alternate, as expected.

Anyone knows what's going on, or if the vary response header on anything else than 200 OK is ignored in TS?