Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> on 2019/08/30 12:58:07 UTC

[DRAFT] Daffodil Podling Report - September 2019

Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description
Language (DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and
XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

1. Increase community growth and participation from outside Tresys
   (main priority)
2. Work with other Apache projects where Daffodil could provide
   extra functionality
3. Establish a frequent release schedule

aware of?

- None

- Voted to add two new PPMC members. One accepted and has been added.
  One declined due to CLA concerns
- Accepted for talk at ApacheCon NA 2019
- Accepted for Podling SharkTank at ApacheCon NA 2019
- Gained a new involved contributor with multiple improvements and
  bug fixes
- Outside contributor released tutorials related to DFDL and Daffodil

- Released Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.4.0
- 42 commits merged from 5 different contributors
- 54 issues created, 57 issues resolved--improvements made at keeping
  up with new bugs
- Greatly improved compatibility with IBM DFDL implementation
- Added new features to continue to meet DFDL specification
- Added new extensions to be proposed as additions to future DFDL
  versions

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

[ ] Initial setup
[ ] Working towards first release
[X] Community building
[ ] Nearing graduation
[ ] Other:

Date of last release:

- 2019-07-12

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

- 2019-06-20 - Brandon Sloane

Have your mentors been helpful?

- Yes

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

- No issues

Re: [DRAFT] Daffodil Podling Report - September 2019

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, I'll add that when putting it on the wiki.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the reminder. I have updated the September report.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/September2019

- Steve

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@tresys.com>.
+1 from me.