Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2017/03/20 08:52:17 UTC

Use jQuery 3.x by default in 8.x

Hi,

It is 14 months since Microsoft droppped the support for IE 10 and less [0].
Do you agree that it is OK to use jQuery 3.x in Wicket 8.x by default ?

Applications will still be able to set custom version (like 1.x) if they
need so.
Also our JS tests will keep testing against jQuery 1.x, 2.x and 3.x [1].

0. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support
1.
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/1421ea2dc9207143cdadb735f3c79421674d924d/testing/wicket-js-tests/Gruntfile.js#L111-L118

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Re: Use jQuery 3.x by default in 8.x

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Korbinian,

Basically you are right : now vanilla js can almost replace jQuery (and
that's a trending as far as I can read).
But from my point of view, jQuery is more convenient to use and still has
the responsibility of the cross browser compatibility (what Wicket has
suffered before opting for jQuery)
One more important point: several integrations relies on jQuery like jQuery
UI, Kendo UI and Bootstrap (and I will not shoot myself in the foot voting
for a replacement :)).

Best regards,
Sebastien.

Re: Use jQuery 3.x by default in 8.x

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
Hi Martin,

I dont want to retire jQuery in an "get it out asap" approach, but more closely migrate away from it slowly... I mean, if you ditch jQuery it would still be needed by my own apps and a load of others, too - as it just here yet :) Basically Emond got a great idea about that!

In its own way, jQuery 3.x is breaking with backwards-compatiblity; Ditching IE is one thing, but also older mobile ones will break. Plus: once on 3.x you can't easily use older plugins

I dont care if 1.12.x is used or 3.x - but 3.x will break much more than 1.12.x would...

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
Hi,