Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2014/06/19 14:39:56 UTC

Heads up: version 4.1.1 is coming

Many people here don't follow the dev list, so be aware that a new
OpenOffice version (4.1.1) will be released during the Summer.

There will be a deadline (you can assume around mid-July for the time
being) for translators to open issues requesting:
- That a new language is added since it reached 100% after the 4.1.0 release
- That a specific existing translation is imported from Pootle and
updated in 4.1.1
- That a new dictionary is added to a specific localized version
- That an existing dictionary is updated in version 4.1.1

Precise deadlines and specific information will follow, but please
schedule your work accordingly! And remember, no action is taken unless
you open a request in Bugzilla (or you write to the list asking that
someone opens it).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Translating Names of Applications

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ariel,
I think I got this time. Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Translating Names of Applications

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Pedro,

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 08:04:06AM +0100, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> Hi Ariel,
> Thanks for teaching me this. I think I made everything right but using
> this link <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque> you provided
> gives 'URL not found at this server'.
> I tried looking in people.apache.org but I can't find a list with the
> proper URL. Can you please tell me where should I look into?

Given that this is your Apache ID
http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html#pmralbuquerque the error
at http://people.apache.org/~pmralbuquerque means you didn't create
a public_html folder inside your home directory at people.apache.org:

arielch@minotaur:~$ ls -l ../pmralbuquerque
total 3
drwxr-xr-x  2 pmralbuquerque  pmralbuquerque  3 Jun 29 06:34 Images

You created an Images folder, you need to put the content that you want
to share inside ~/public_html; for example: ~/public_html/Images/ will
be http://people.apache.org/~pmralbuquerque/Images

Also note that ~/public_html must be publicly accessible (on Nautilus,
select the folder and right-click, open "Properties", on the
"Permissions" tab, "Others Access" must be "Access files").

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Translating Names of Applications

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
no need to change something that already exists for so long time with
clear success.
Thank you for your answers. I learned a little bit more of the whole
process, again.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Translating Names of Applications

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 10:05:50PM +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> >I am not sure I'm following you. In the image you've given a link to I
> >see "Writer," "Calc," "Impress," "Draw," "Base," and "Math"? Those are
> >the original English expressions. You said you don't want to translate
> >them. What am I missing?
>
> If I get it right, Pedro would like the splash screen

Actually, it's the Start Center (the component that appears when you
close the last document without closing the whole application).

> to appear that way. So
> no "Text Document" or "Documento de texto", but simply "Writer".
>
> >As a matter of fact, I think those particular occurrences actually refer
> >not to the names of the applications but to their respective document
> >types.
>
> Indeed.
>
> >I have a hunch the strings are located in
> ><aoo40-pt\svtools\source\misc.po>.
>
> The strings for the splash screen are in
> framework/source/services.po
> but you are right, you won't find "Text Document" there. The strings
> referring to document formats are hardcoded to be the same as the items of
> the File - New menu.
>
> So if one wants "Writer" in the splash screen, he would also get File - New
> - Writer instead of File - New - Text document.
>
> As for where those definitions are,

There are two places:

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu#199
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/svtools/source/misc/imagemgr.src#296

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Translating Names of Applications

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Pedro,

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 05:29:31PM +0100, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> First of all sorry about the images. I keep forgetting they get cut out.

[...]

> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2xjhp8y011pt1o/Captura%20de%20ecr__%20de%202014-06-28%2014_36_26.png>

as an Apache Committer you have access to people.apache.org, where you
can upload documents related to OpenOffice to share with others (for
example http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/).

See http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide#ssh-setup

On Linux it's rather easy to set up, both Dolphin (KDE) and Nautilus
(Gnome) have a very simple way to connect. On Nautilus, for example,
click on "Connect to Server" on the sidebar, and type in the server
address sftp://pmralbuquerque@people.apache.org. You need to create
a public_html folder in your home directory, and put the shared content
there, then check http://people.apache.org/~pmralbuquerque to see if it
worked.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Translating Names of Applications

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> I am not sure I'm following you. In the image you've given a link to I
> see "Writer," "Calc," "Impress," "Draw," "Base," and "Math"? Those are
> the original English expressions. You said you don't want to translate
> them. What am I missing?

If I get it right, Pedro would like the splash screen to appear that
way. So no "Text Document" or "Documento de texto", but simply "Writer".

> As a matter of fact, I think those particular occurrences actually refer
> not to the names of the applications but to their respective document
> types.

Indeed.

> I have a hunch the strings are located in
> <aoo40-pt\svtools\source\misc.po>.

The strings for the splash screen are in
framework/source/services.po
but you are right, you won't find "Text Document" there. The strings
referring to document formats are hardcoded to be the same as the items
of the File - New menu.

So if one wants "Writer" in the splash screen, he would also get File -
New - Writer instead of File - New - Text document.

As for where those definitions are, I'm not sure but you can try with
sfx2/source/doc.po
(if you decide to change them, let us know and I can check better).

> For instance, "Base" is in:
>     <#: imagemgr.src#STR_DESCRIPTION_FACTORY_DATABASE.string.text
>     msgid "Database">

This is the application name, which indeed is what Aivaras proposed to
localize. Again, I don't know here the impact of translating it, but it
is indeed a different issue than Pedro's, even though they apply to
related scenarios.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Pedro,

I am not sure I'm following you. In the image you've given a link to I
see "Writer," "Calc," "Impress," "Draw," "Base," and "Math"? Those are
the original English expressions. You said you don't want to translate
them. What am I missing?

As a matter of fact, I think those particular occurrences actually refer
not to the names of the applications but to their respective document types.

I have a hunch the strings are located in <aoo40-pt\svtools\source\misc.po>.

For instance, "Base" is in:

    <#: imagemgr.src#STR_DESCRIPTION_FACTORY_DATABASE.string.text
    msgid "Database">

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you. Feel free to explain it a bit more.

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
> Names are just names, in the English version too: for example,
> "Impress" is not a word that an English speaker would immediately
> associate to giving presentations.

I do not want to turn this into a heated debate. I'll just say a couple
of things that may raise our cultural awareness.

All names are embedded in some concrete culture. The names of the
applications are not just names, they are names in English both in terms
of their semantics (what they mean as English words), morphology (their
grammatical form), phonetics (their expected pronunciation).

In the Christian West, we've had the long tradition of Hebrew, Greek,
and Latin names spreading among different peoples, languages, and
cultures. The process was dynamic and pliant, the names were adapted to
the circumstances of a given culture. So what became "George" and
"Stephen" in English, turned into ""Jurgis" and "Steponas" in
Lithuanian. It is not just writing words differently. It is adapting
them to different systems of language, from Hebew to Lithuanian, from
German to Finnish. Two things were inherent in that tradition: 1) a
drive to universalize cultural behavior and 2) a respect for cultural
difference which was enacted by finding creative ways to harmonize the
universal with the particular.

That is not what is happening in our globalized world governed by the
capitalist drive to commodify and monetize. Things are viewed as
products. Products are given (for the most part) English names because
they will be sold on a global market the lingua franca of which happens
to be English. There is no cultural adaptation anymore as it used to be
in earlier historical periods. The product names are literally imposed
on native cultures "as is", i.e. as English.

Some of you who speak Romance or Germanic languages may not feel just
how much of an intrusion this Anglicizing tendency is to other languages
such as Lithuanian. How should we pronounce "Base" or "Calc" in
Lithuanian, a language that is phonetic (i.e. we write the way we speak,
and we speak the way we write)? How should we write these words in
Lithuanian, a language that is heavily declined and expects the root
words to be a certain way and not just any way (and English for
Lithuanian is pretty much "any way" ) Sure, we'll find ways out, we'll
bend the language to "accommodate," but this is the same kind of bending
a body assumes when pushed or squeezed by an external force it cannot
escape.

I don't think there is an easy solution. My suggestion in an earlier
e-mail was to exercise a mixture of common sense and cultural awareness.
We are all rooted in some culture. When we do something that affects
another culture the only way to really know what we're doing is to ask
that culture.

I do apologize for what may look like a rant. It is all said in good
will and peace.

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
It shall depend on one's cultural sensitivity and common sense to draw a
line where "products", "commodities", and "brands" end and room is made
for common expressions in native languages.

In Lithuanian, translating the names of the applications allows native
users to talk about OO in a fluent manner without lisping or
mispronouncing what are simply English words. There is more to the
translation, though. The names of the application are not rendered
arbitrarily. They relate to other important Lithuanian terms in a direct
morphological way. To give you a couple examples:

    Writer = ras(ykle. | text document = ras(inys
    Calc = skaic(iuokle. | spreadsheet = skaic(iuote.
    Math = sprendykle. | formula = sprendinys

It is all about a better native experience, really.

Regards,

Aivaras

2014.06.22 00:22, Pedro Albuquerque ras(e.:

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
I've posed this question months ago without getting an answer. So I'm
giving it another try: how/where in the language files can I translate
the names of the applications (Base, Calc, Draw, Impress...) as they
occur in Windows > Start > Programs > OpenOffice 4.1.0?

In Lithuanian, we do not translate "Apache OpenOffice", but we do

Re: Heads up: version 4.1.1 is coming

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Tal Daniel wrote:
> Updated existing issue for Hebrew trans. update (
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=124766),
> though, can't see flag field (permission problems?).
> Can anyone add a flag of 4.1.1 release blocker?

Try changing your Bugzilla e-mail address to your @apache.org alias and
you will automatically get the needed privileges. See
http://markmail.org/message/zwitf6fomdpb6nhi

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Heads up: version 4.1.1 is coming

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
Updated existing issue for Hebrew trans. update (
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=124766),
though, can't see flag field (permission problems?).
Can anyone add a flag of 4.1.1 release blocker?

Thanks

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Tal Daniel wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 20, Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
>>
>>> I was going to open a Bugzilla issue [...] yet couldn't locate 4.1.1 in
>>> the dropdown list of "versions."
>>>
>>>  If I remember correctly, you should choose 4.2.
>> I think Hebrew is already defined as a request to update from Pootle.
>>

> If you have already made corrections in Pootle and you would like to see
> them imported in 4.1.1, do the following:
> - Open an issue like https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=124789
> (hint: bottom right there's a "Clone this issue" button)
> - Change title and details appropriately
> - Set "Version" to 4.1.0 (it's the current version, the one to be improved)
> - Set "Target" to 4.2.0 (it's the version where we will fix it)
> - Set "Flags" to "4.1.1 Release Blocker ?" so that it gets nominated for
> 4.1.1 and fixed for 4.1.1 besides 4.2.0.
>
> Do this, especially the "Flags" part, even if an issue already exists, or
> it will get overlooked.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

טל

Re: Bugzilla: Lithuanian (lt) translation update for OpenOffice 4.1.1

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Indeed, my view was a little different from yours. Changing the e-mail
alias did the trick, allowing me to enter the missing bits of
information. Thank you.

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125130
> Some of the parameters you're describing seem to be inaccessible to me.
> For example, I did not find a way to edit the "Target" field and could
> not locate the "Flags" field. This may be because we operate under
> different sets of rights.

This is what I see, and you should see the same:
http://i.imgur.com/t0RMQFd.png

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the tips! I've created the issue. it's here

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the reminder. It's helpful.

I was going to open a Bugzilla issue for the LT translation of AOO
4.1.1, yet couldn't locate 4.1.1 in the dropdown list of "versions." You
may want to update that list to include 4.1.1.

Regards,

Aivaras