Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hari Om <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/24 18:38:17 UTC

HUGE Data Elements...JSP/Servlets

Hello Every1

I am using JSP/Servlets/JDBC on Apache/Tomcat

I have a HUGE Data Entry form (around 400 data fields)

I was initially having  all these 400 fields in one HTML Page but it was not
very user-friendly. SO I am thinking of displaying the data in different
sections. So, now at any instant only one SECTION of dat is displayed. when
the user is done (entrting data) with first section he clicks on to the NEXT
LINK whcih will take him/her to next Section.
It should ALSO SAVE the data ENTERED by user in previous screen.

What is the BEST Possible way to STORE and HOLD this DATA till last section
is displayed....?

I have thought have 2 options - do not know if there is better options than
these:
1) Create SESSION Variables for each of these 400 Variables. (will it be an
issue if I have 400 Session Variable...?)
2)Using JavaScript to store these DATA till last screen is displayed and
user clicks on the SUBMIT Button.

Any related information on this is appreciated.

THANKS!

Re: HUGE Data Elements...JSP/Servlets

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
I would think you should create (at least 1) model objects to capture all the
data you wish to store. Place the model objects into your session. (Or maybe
better, aggregate your model objects into one object).

This comes in handy for using jstl:
<c:out value="${sessionScope.aggregatingObject.subObject.myProperty}"/>

Many session object IS BAD. Why?
- type session.get/set ... Sucks
- every get requires a cast
- can't store primitives
- sessions don't enforce or group things nicely like an object can

-Tim