Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by David Jacot <dj...@confluent.io.INVALID> on 2022/12/16 16:31:53 UTC

Re: Discussion on KIP-670 : Add ConsumerGroupCommand to delete static members

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the KIP. Overall, your proposal seems to be a useful
addition to the command line tool. I made a first pass on it and I
have a few comments:

01. Adding `removeMembersFromConsumerGroup(String groupId,
Collection<String> memberIds)` does not seem necessary because you can
already specify members in the
`RemoveMembersFromConsumerGroupOptions`.

02. Note that you can either remove all members in the group or remove
members by specifying their instance id. It would be good to be clear
about this in the KIP.

03. Could you add a Public Interfaces section and describe the new
command line arguments in there? It would be also good to add a few
examples.

04. Is it possible to pass multiple members or only one? It would be
good to make this clear in the KIP.

05. I would remove the code from the KIP. It is not required. The KIP
should focus on the motivation and the public interfaces.

Best,
David

Posted by Kirk True <ki...@kirktrue.pro>.
Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the KIP!

Comments/questions:

1. Looking at the existing code, it does seem that the existing Admin APIs are sufficient, such that this can be implemented by augmenting the ConsumerGroupCommand directly. This cuts down on a lot of code and makes it easier to adopt in non-Java clients. If a separate method turns out to not be needed, perhaps you can mention that in the "Rejected Alternatives" section?

2. What happens if the user provides both of the --all-members and --member arguments when invoking --remove-members? Is that something we want to prohibit by adding a check to checkArgs()? What happens i

3. What happens if the member ID provide is incorrect (either a typo or a race condition)? Could you maybe provide a sentence of two on that? Even if handling that is outside of the code for this KIP, stating that is helpful, too.

Thanks,
Kirk