Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <se...@clients.ie> on 2001/10/13 19:37:20 UTC

Manager app: too bad

Hi all

Does anybody feels good about the manager webapp? There are several
complains:

1. When I install a wepapp for the first time (manager/install?...), I
have to restart tomcat. It is really annoying.

2. When I remove a webapp (manager/remove?...) the manager does not
remove the directory /var/tomcat4/webapp/myapp and all the files remain
in place, so I have to remove them myself (as root or as nobody!)
manually. And then - restart the server.

Regards,

Sergey

Re: Manager app: too bad

Posted by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <se...@clients.ie>.
> Are you running this stuff through Apache?  If so, it might be entirely
> possible that Tomcat will recognize the new webapp but the Apache
> connector won't.  Please try it stand alone to see if the behavior
> changes.
OK. Now I've tried to make some simple and clean experiment.

I run everything on port 8180 without apache. My actions.

1. I install the webapp for the first time to path /idle/common (sorry I
really want this path - but the situation was the same with just /idle -
believe me).
2. The application runs. Sorry for misinforming you (probably the
previous report was caused by some pre-history).
3. I found some bugs in the app, so I am removing it. At this point, the
directory /var/tomcat4/webapps/idle still exists. Btw, there is no
subdirectory "common". But I am not very concerned about this.
4. Then I install the app again - but no changes in the directory
/var/tomcat4/webapps/idle appear:( Same old code. And in the browser I
still see the old code. Really bad probleb #1.
5. OK. I remove the webapp again. Then I remove the directory
/var/tomcat5/webapps/idle _myself_ as a root. I know - this is really
bad but what can I do (see #1). Then, I am trying to install it and I
get in the browser:
FAIL - Encountered exception java.lang.IllegalStateException: zip file
closed

I think that's enough for the start. Any ideas would be welcome.

Regards,

Sergey

Re: Manager app: too bad

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:

> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 02:10:53 +0100
> From: Sergey V. Udaltsov <se...@clients.ie>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Manager app: too bad
>

> >>1. When I install a wepapp for the first time (manager/install?...), I
> >>have to restart tomcat. It is really annoying.
> > Why are you restarting Tomcat?  The whole idea of using the manager to
> > deploy apps is that you *don't* have to do this.
>
> I thought so. But not for long:)
> I just found the application does not function properly without
> restarting the server:( AFAIR I get 404 - and after restart everything
> is fine.

Hmm, it works fine for me without restarting.  More specifically, I did
the following:

* Started Tomcat 4 the usual way (this is the code from what will be
  the 4.0.1 release, but I don't believe anything has really changed).

* Got a 404 (correctly) when trying:

    http://localhost:8080/struts-example/

* Installed the Struts example webapp without restarting Tomcat (split
  onto two lines for typing ease only):

    http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=/struts-example&war=\
    jar:file:/path/to/struts-example.war!/

* Got the welcome page of the Struts example app when trying:

    http://localhost:8080/struts-example/

So, it works for me.  Did you get any error messages when you executed the
"install" (either back to your browser or in the log files)?

> > Removing the files would be very unfriendly, and very large numbers of
> > users would complain.  But it would certainly be reasonable to add an
> > option that would remove the files if you asked for it.
>
> Actually this really does not matter to me. The problem it that I unable
> to reinstall the app if the directory from the old installation still
> exists:( So I have to:
> 1. Uninstall an app
> 2. Remove the directory manually
> 3. Restart the server (otherwise I am unable to install an app again)
> 4. Install the app
> 5. Restart the server (otherwise I get 404).
> Very unfriendly:~((( And most of these steps are for su only:(

Sounds like we should solve one problem at a time ... let's get install
working right (without a restart) first.

> > On the restart issue -- I again ask, why are you restarting it?
> Because otherwise it does not work at all:)
>

> My system is RH 7.1, Sun JVM 1.3.1, Tomcat 4.0 built from src.rpm,
> Apache 1.3.19.

I also use Red Hat 7.1 and the Sun JVM.

Are you running this stuff through Apache?  If so, it might be entirely
possible that Tomcat will recognize the new webapp but the Apache
connector won't.  Please try it stand alone to see if the behavior
changes.

> I could provide any debugging/logging info which can help.
>
> Thanks for reply,
>
> Sergey

Craig

Re: Manager app: too bad

Posted by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <se...@clients.ie>.

Re: Manager app: too bad

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:

> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 18:37:20 +0100
> From: Sergey V. Udaltsov <se...@clients.ie>
> To: tomcat-user <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Manager app: too bad
>
> Hi all
>
> Does anybody feels good about the manager webapp? There are several
> complains:
>
> 1. When I install a wepapp for the first time (manager/install?...), I
> have to restart tomcat. It is really annoying.

Why are you restarting Tomcat?  The whole idea of using the manager to
deploy apps is that you *don't* have to do this.

> 2. When I remove a webapp (manager/remove?...) the manager does not
> remove the directory /var/tomcat4/webapp/myapp and all the files remain
> in place, so I have to remove them myself (as root or as nobody!)
> manually. And then - restart the server.

Removing the files would be very unfriendly, and very large numbers of
users would complain.  But it would certainly be reasonable to add an
option that would remove the files if you asked for it.

On the restart issue -- I again ask, why are you restarting it?

> Regards,
>
> Sergey

Craig