Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/06/27 18:00:34 UTC

Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

The Mercurial repository at http://hg.services.openoffice.org/ is no
longer current but it is still useful since it contains important
historical information.

It is still hosted by Oracle and it is now down.

Any plans to restore it? We might also want to store it (read-only)
somewhere at Apache, but that resource should remain available.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:28 PM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 6/27/2013 9:00 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> The Mercurial repository at http://hg.services.openoffice.org/ is no longer current but it is still useful since it contains important historical information.
>>
>> It is still hosted by Oracle and it is now down.
>>
>> Any plans to restore it?
> It will not be restored.  (but there are copies in the wild, the https://bitbucket.org/mst/ooo340 one mentioned in this thread, for instance)

Two years was a long time. Thanks.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Andrea Pescetti<pe...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Mercurial repository at http://hg.services.openoffice.org/ is no
>>> longer
>>> current but it is still useful since it contains important historical
>>> information. ...
>>
>> Is it the same as:  https://bitbucket.org/mst/ooo340 ???
>

> Seems so, thanks. The web interface is different but I see branches
> corresponding to the many CWSes we used to have.
>
> Indeed we refer to that mirror repository (together with the currently
> unreachable hg.services.openoffice.org) at
> http://openoffice.apache.org/source.html
> and it was announced on this list as a full backup, see
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201110.mbox/%3Cj6efbr$utv$1@dough.gmane.org%3E
>
> I've now made a local copy of it, but archiving it somewhere where all
> committers can access it would probably be the safest solution. At over 2
> GBytes, it's quite big for people.apache.org (even ignoring license issues
> since that stuff is still under the LGPL).

I have a complete dump of it as well, on an external drive, including
all CWSes.  For a while I tried uploading it to Apache Extras (where
the backend is Google Code) but it exceeded their size limitations.

-Rob

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>> resolved?

>> > Independent of the developers involved and the individual rights they
>> might
>> > have, I understood that the whole repository was Oracle's copyright
>> > property and thus a copyright license from them was required for any
>> member
>> > of this or other projects to use code from any given CWS unless it had
>> > already been integrated into AOO and thus fallen under the blanket grant
>> > made by Oracle.
>> >
>> > For the legacy Mercurial repository Andrea mentioned to be useful to
>> future
>> > developers I would expect the copyright status of the repo to thus need
>> > clarifying, and I don't recall seeing a definitive statement.
>> >

>> Without commenting on your overly-simplistic statement of OOo
>> licensing, I'll just say that the release process is where we audit
>> licenses.  I don't think anyone here has an interest in investigations
>> of code that is not targeted for inclusion in a release.
>

> So to be completely clear and specific, you're confirming that the problem
> we all identified with the non-integrated CWS copyrights being unlicensed
> has not been resolved and the only way to do so is to propose integration
> of each or any of them within the AOO release process?

No, Simon, I'm *not* confirming the words you're trying to put into my mouth.

If someone has a specific need for the use of a specific CWS, then let
them start a specific thread here on the dev list.  That's the most
direct way to a clear resoution.  I don't think the use of proxies
asking vague questions and speaking inaccurate generalities will help
anyone.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
>> > Was the licensing status of the CWSes in this repository every resolved?
>> >

>> The authorship is varied.
>

> Independent of the developers involved and the individual rights they might
> have, I understood that the whole repository was Oracle's copyright
> property and thus a copyright license from them was required for any member
> of this or other projects to use code from any given CWS unless it had
> already been integrated into AOO and thus fallen under the blanket grant
> made by Oracle.
>
> For the legacy Mercurial repository Andrea mentioned to be useful to future
> developers I would expect the copyright status of the repo to thus need
> clarifying, and I don't recall seeing a definitive statement.

Without commenting on your overly-simplistic statement of OOo
licensing, I'll just say that the release process is where we audit
licenses.  I don't think anyone here has an interest in investigations
of code that is not targeted for inclusion in a release.

>>  What CWS did you have in mind specifically?
>>

> There was a discussion in the pre-TLP archives (which I can't find any
> more) listing interesting CWSes.

Great.  If you ever have a specific question, feel free to ask it.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Simon Phipps wrote:
>>
>> For the legacy Mercurial repository Andrea mentioned to be useful to
>> future
>> developers I would expect the copyright status of the repo to thus need
>> clarifying, and I don't recall seeing a definitive statement.
>

> Actually what I wrote at the beginning of this thread, months ago, was "it
> is still useful since it contains important historical information": for
> example, a bug might be marked as fixed in a certain CWS and I'd like to
> take a look at this CWS and see whether it was integrated or not.
>
> So this thread is (was) mainly about preserving the code. The possibility to
> include it in an OpenOffice release will likely still require to be checked
> on a case-by-case basis, and was not the purpose of this thread.

Exactly.  And the reason I revived the thread was only because with
the retirement of the original HG repository hosted by Oracle I've
been trying to transition Ohloh to point to the BitBucket copy.  That
does not involve the license at all.  It is merely gathering
statistics on the code.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> Simon Phipps wrote:
>
>> For the legacy Mercurial repository Andrea mentioned to be useful to
>> future
>> developers I would expect the copyright status of the repo to thus need
>> clarifying, and I don't recall seeing a definitive statement.
>>

> Actually what I wrote at the beginning of this thread, months ago, was "it
> is still useful since it contains important historical information": for
> example, a bug might be marked as fixed in a certain CWS and I'd like to
> take a look at this CWS and see whether it was integrated or not.

Right, I understood that, thanks - I was just checking I had not missed a
resolution of the other related issue! Accurately remembering our history
is an essential element of our future.

> So this thread is (was) mainly about preserving the code. The possibility
> to include it in an OpenOffice release will likely still require to be
> checked on a case-by-case basis, and was not the purpose of this thread.

Right, understood, thanks. Your view seems to match mine even if others
would prefer not to discuss it!

S.

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> Was the licensing status of the CWSes in this repository every resolved?

The authorship is varied.  What CWS did you have in mind specifically?

-Rob

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 22/08/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> I've now made a local copy of it, but archiving it somewhere where all
>> committers can access it would probably be the safest solution. At over 2
>> GBytes, it's quite big for people.apache.org (even ignoring license issues
>> since that stuff is still under the LGPL).
> I got a report, from Ohloh, that they are unable to process the
> bitbucket repository, since they receive an error.  When they try to
> extract it they see:
> "hg clone -U 'https://bitbucket.org/mst/ooo340'
> destination directory: ooo340
> requesting all changes
> adding changesets
> adding manifests
> adding file changes
> transaction abort!
> rollback completed
> abort: stream ended unexpectedly (got 2494 bytes, expected 14775)"

I had the same error, and it turned out that the repository was too big
to clone in one step. So, at the time, I did something like:

$ hg --debug --verbose clone -r 40000 https://bitbucket.org/mst/ooo340
which downloads the first 40000 revisions, then, in that directory,
$ hg pull -r 80000
$ hg pull -r 120000
$ hg pull -r ...
to gradually pull revisions. The last one is 278985, but the options
above should give counters too.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Andrea Pescetti<pe...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Mercurial repository at http://hg.services.openoffice.org/ is no
>>> longer
>>> current but it is still useful since it contains important historical
>>> information. ...
>>
>> Is it the same as:  https://bitbucket.org/mst/ooo340 ???
>

> Seems so, thanks. The web interface is different but I see branches
> corresponding to the many CWSes we used to have.
>
> Indeed we refer to that mirror repository (together with the currently
> unreachable hg.services.openoffice.org) at
> http://openoffice.apache.org/source.html
> and it was announced on this list as a full backup, see
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201110.mbox/%3Cj6efbr$utv$1@dough.gmane.org%3E
>
> I've now made a local copy of it, but archiving it somewhere where all
> committers can access it would probably be the safest solution. At over 2
> GBytes, it's quite big for people.apache.org (even ignoring license issues
> since that stuff is still under the LGPL).

I got a report, from Ohloh, that they are unable to process the
bitbucket repository, since they receive an error.  When they try to
extract it they see:

"hg clone -U 'https://bitbucket.org/mst/ooo340'
destination directory: ooo340
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
transaction abort!
rollback completed
abort: stream ended unexpectedly (got 2494 bytes, expected 14775)"

Any ideas?

-Rob

Re: Mercurial repository at hg.services.openoffice.org

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.