Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jens Christian Restemeier <je...@playtonicgames.com> on 2016/06/03 14:05:02 UTC

suggestion: enhance workspace locking/clean message

Hi,

At the moment users get a "workspace is locked, please run clean" style
message if they run two subversion commands on the same workspace. Obviously
the solution is to "not do that", but for example with subversion integrated
into tools it may not be obvious to a user. I had several users corrupt a
workspace by running a clean against a running command.

My suggestions:

Store a process identifier together with whatever is used to lock a
workspace, send a "ping" style message to the active process when another
command is run. If the other command is still running change the report to
"another process is still accessing the workspace"

Optionally block the second process until the first process is complete.
actually I was thinking about implementing that in our tools by peeking into
the workspace lock data, but didn't have time so far.

Cheers,

Jens

Re: suggestion: enhance workspace locking/clean message

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 03.06.2016 16:05, Jens Christian Restemeier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the moment users get a \u201cworkspace is locked, please run clean\u201d
> style message if they run two subversion commands on the same
> workspace. Obviously the solution is to \u201cnot do that\u201d, but for example
> with subversion integrated into tools it may not be obvious to a user.
> I had several users corrupt a workspace by running a clean against a
> running command.
>

> My suggestions:
>
> Store a process identifier together with whatever is used to lock a
> workspace, send a \u201cping\u201d style message to the active process when
> another command is run. If the other command is still running change
> the report to \u201canother process is still accessing the workspace\u201d
>
> Optionally block the second process until the first process is
> complete\u2026 actually I was thinking about implementing that in our tools
> by peeking into the workspace lock data, but didn\u2019t have time so far.

Which version of Subversion are you using?

In general it is safe to run multiple Subversion commands simultaneously
on the same working copy; access to the working copy database is
transactional and protected by the global database lock.

If that's not good enough for you, you can enforce exclusive locking of
the working copy and only one client at a time will be able to access
the working copy; see:

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.8.html#exclusivelocking

-- Brane