Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Ford <A....@ford-mason.co.uk> on 2008/07/15 23:05:20 UTC

Documentation of non-standard CGI environment variables

While documenting the CGI environment variables for the Apache Pocket
Reference I came across some minor discrepencies between the Apache
source code, documentation and the CGI specification.

It appears that the variable REQUEST_URI is unconditionally set.  This
are not included in the CGI spec and not mentioned in the
documentation.  REQUEST_URI is mentioned in the mod_rewrite docs, but it
appears even if RewriteEngine is set to OFF.  DOCUMENT_ROOT and
SERVER_ADMIN are set and comments in the code say that these are Apache
additions, but that is not reflected in the documentation.

SCRIPT_URI and SCRIPT_URL are set if RewriteEngine is set to ON.  This
is mentioned in the mod_rewrite documentation, but probably ought to be
mentioned in the mod_cgi docs and in howto/cgi.html

Does anyone have any comments on these variables?  Once the book is out
of the way I'll work up a patch for the relevant documentation files.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford
South Wing Compton House, Compton Green,