Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2002/03/12 23:52:32 UTC

Re: Why use a DB?

I don't know of any mail server or client that stores messages as XML (just
differing with you on calling that standard).  That's an interesting idea to
possibly add if anybody wanted to use that.

Storing messages in a database means you get all the reliability, querying
features, backups, etc.. of a database instead of a file system.  I find it
much more manageable to just run an update statement or use standard db
tools to move messages from some inbox back into the message spool, rather
than having to copy files around.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/