Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Stefan Frank <s....@vierundsechzig.de> on 2003/09/16 08:43:55 UTC

Re: Invalid Class file Format

Hi Christian,

found the reason: tools.jar was a good hint and setting the jvm to
verbose showed, that bea forks a new process for the jsp-compile:
Unfortunately, there is an older jvm running on the same box, which
results in the JAVA_HOME being set to a jdk1.1: ergo, the 45 is correct.
Pointing the JAVA_HOME to the right jdk fixed this (and also
significantly speeds up the page-compile) .

Uhh, that Oracle-Story really sounds like great fun :) At least, we can
all be very grateful, that Oracle dumped its own App-Server, Orion was
aat least a good thing to start with (I wonder how much time it will
take Oracle to screw this one up, too) - BTW: how does 10g feel?!
Compared to eclipse and/or IntellliJ?! From the Product-Description, I'm
really thinking about giving it a try...  Maybe I'm a little prejudiced
about Oracle, but the only really good thing that ever came from Oracle
is the Database (and I'm very curious what they exactly mean with the
g=grid)

cheers&many thanks for the help
stefan

Posted by Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de>.
Am Dienstag, 16. September 2003 08:43 schrieb Stefan Frank:

> Hi Christian,

Hi Stefan, hi everyone,

> found the reason: tools.jar was a good hint and setting the jvm to
> verbose showed, that bea forks a new process for the jsp-compile:
> Unfortunately, there is an older jvm running on the same box, which
> results in the JAVA_HOME being set to a jdk1.1: ergo, the 45 is
> correct. Pointing the JAVA_HOME to the right jdk fixed this (and also
> significantly speeds up the page-compile) .

Thought of something like this. Nice to hear the problem was
solved :-) Hope the other guy's problem was solved likewise.

> Uhh, that Oracle-Story really sounds like great fun :)

Definitely, it was not :-) Apart from that certain moment when
you know 'hey, it works!' and feel the Adrenaline levels slowly
decrease...

> At least, we
> can all be very grateful, that Oracle dumped its own App-Server,

Yep. Finally, they too came to that insight. The OAS was
a piece of crap, apart from the Forms cartridge, probably.

> Orion was aat least a good thing to start with (I wonder how much
> time it will take Oracle to screw this one up, too)

Well, the first release of iAS 9i was more or less the Orion
server with a different label but a 20fold price tag. Still,
Oracle's Java efforts finally seem to lead to respectable
results. Even up to now, noone I know of makes any use
of Java in the database or the Aurora VM, though it
was a nice concept, regardless of the Java and Internet
hypes in-between. It's still not bad, but with 9i, there
also came compiled PL/SQL, and in the end, Java
in the database makes just as much sense as
the Visual Basic code in T | MS SQL :-)

> - BTW: how does
> 10g feel?!

10g is just *great*,  period. :) Definitely, it's no
lightweight and can't compete with things like
Eclipse or IntelliJ in this direction (personally,
I'm more on the Sun ONE | NetBeans track,
so I don't have too much experience in Real
Life with those). In the end, I finally was kind of
fed up with the Sun ONE JSP debugger and
began looking for something more stable. Then
I gave Oracle's JDeveloper 9i a closer look
and found it to be missing in some directions
when compared to Sun ONE, and I had to get
accustomed to its general (JBuilder-like)
concept too, but one thing convinced me rather
soon, and that was that it proved to be
rock-solid in every aspect.. Basically, I don't
really use anything except the Code and Class
editors and Ant, and the debugger when it comes to
tracking bugs. I furthermore depend on a good
help system, including a decent code-completion
feature plus instant, configurable access to
the documentation by just pressing F1, context-
aware if possible. In JDev 9i, this all is available
without any further notice or marketing fuss about
it. Recent versions also added integrated Struts
support, so basically you can edit
struts-config.xml via a Wizard like in Struts
Console, but usually I tend to use the
integrated XML editor for such things.
JDev 9i integrates OC4J instead of
Tomcat, but then, the JSP debugger finally
works as expected, never hangs up
somewhere and just does what I expect from
it in a true rock-solid manner. Though it took
some time to get accustomed to it, I admit.
But now it's really fun to work with it. Though
I really liked NetBeans | Forte | Sun ONE
Studio ( I'm still an EAP member), and
some things they did I still miss, the
excellent HTTP monitor, for example.

Now: JDev 10g in its final release will
be kind of a a killer IDE IMHO. You
have to see for yourself, still. Basically,
they took all the things that were im-
provable in JDev 9i and made them
better. For example, they added code
error highlighting (like in .NET Studio)
not only for .java files, but for any file,
including CSS. There's a JSP-aware
HTML editor that finally 'just does the
job'. They also improved an abundance
of subtle things you might not even
notice, including an HTML reformatting
option that also translates non-ASCII
characters to their proper HTML entity
representations; so in JDev 10g,
you might write something like
'ß,' and it will automatically convert
that to &szlig. I definitely would give
it a try. Note it's still just  a 'Preview'
yet and therefore not suitable for
'production' use, and it still has some
obvious bug (for example, the Swing
UI doesn't work at all under Linux,
but the Oracle UI does perfectly).
For private use, I already switched
to 10g because of its overall
benefits. For production use, we
still stick to 9i. And in both cases,
usually the first thing I do is to
switch off all those Oracle-specific
things, kind of habit, I think. 10g
is announced to support Tomcat
4/5 and JBoss, among others, and
it claims to support Web Services
as comfortably as seen in .NET
Studio recently. Don't think it is a
marketing myth: in the preview,
click on a class, and JDev will
generate the necessary WSDL,
and the only references to some-
thing Oracle-related are in the
comments. My experiences
are rather limited yet, but this
was the last IDE that really im-
pressed me for a very long time.

>Compared to eclipse and/or IntellliJ?! From the
> Product-Description, I'm really thinking about giving it a try...

Won't be a really bad idea, IMHO. But be prepared
for an entirely different experience if you're
accustomed to one of these. The Oracle IDE
is definitely no lightweight and needs a fast and
resourceful machine underneath. A Pentium
4 class machine with 512MB RAM is the
minimum, I guess. And note the Preview
release is not production-ready yet. It's
astonishingly stable in most critical areas,
but it still has some obvious bugs.

> Maybe I'm a little prejudiced about Oracle, but the only really good
> thing that ever came from Oracle is the Database (and I'm very
> curious what they exactly mean with the g=grid)

As with all things, marketing's view is different from a
developer's one who ultimately has to cope with the former.
Telling from my own experiences, you definitely are right
about Oracle. There's the database core which is still a
class of its own and rock-solid, and there's an abundance
of additional tools and technologies surrounding it. Most
of the latter ones proved to be rather shortlived and
error-prone, and I tend to just ignore those features at all,
if I can. I  also wonder how grid computing might be a benefit
in terms of Oracle, but well - there's the database core and
proven things that just work (like PL/SQL) around it, and for
the rest, I really don't care very much, But their Java tools
really got much better, recently, and the JDev line definitely
is a promising thing since the 9i release. Personally, I wouldn't
have thought that Oracle might come up with something
like this one day. Well, we'll see what may finally come of
it, but even today, JDev beats JBuilder in any direction,
and with a different price tag (admitting being biased
here, as the company I work for is an Oracle Alliance
member, but after all, these are just my private thoughts).

> cheers&many thanks for the help
> stefan

Cheers, being glad it works now,

-- Chris (SCPJ2)

Re: Invalid Class file Format (help same problem)

Posted by Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de>.
Hi,

iAS 9.0.3 runs perfectly with JDK 1.4.2. It's true that it
comes along with its own JDK which is a 1.3 version.
The JSP compiler uses the tools.jar that is found in
a separate directory named /jdk/lib, whereas
the server itself is located unterneath /j2ee, both
located directly underneath the installation directory.
This (/jdk/lib) is where you must copy the 1.4 tools.jar.

To make sure Oracle really uses the correct JDK,
it's best to explicitly specify the exact path to
java.exe and invoke oc4j.jar with that:

D:\Java\j2sdk1.4.2\bin\java -jar oc4j.jar

This definitely works; I just tested this again
with a fresh installation.

HTH,

-- Chris (SCPJ2)

Posted by Stefan Frank <s....@vierundsechzig.de>.

Posted by Mohd Amin Mohd Din <am...@nc.com.my>.
If I'm not mistaken, 9ias runs on jdk1.3.1

Posted by Stefan Frank <s....@vierundsechzig.de>.

Posted by Stefan Frank <s....@vierundsechzig.de>.
Hi Richard,

Posted by Richard Raquepo <rr...@primeorion.com>.