Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2008/07/27 17:27:46 UTC

svn not ignoring files

Hello,
I have checked out a project and did the modification I need. However,
one of the files is for the production envorenment and I don't need to
check in these modification. The files name is configurations.php. So I
added this file to svn:ignore list. And when I did a commet all the
modification were checked in. Is there any way that I can roll these
changes out and prevent this from happening again?

I want to be able to extract the diff and take the patch to the
production (live) server to apply it there. I am new to svn through the
shell, but I have been using it for a while through eclipse.

Thank you.

Re: svn not ignoring files

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 27, 2008, at 12:27, Mansour wrote:

> I have checked out a project and did the modification I need.
> However, one of the files is for the production envorenment and I
> don't need to check in these modification. The files name is
> configurations.php. So I added this file to svn:ignore list. And
> when I did a commet all the modification were checked in. Is there
> any way that I can roll these changes out and prevent this from
> happening again?

Then I suppose configurations.php was already in the repository;
svn:ignore is only for ignoring files that are not in the repository.
You may want to consider not having configurations.php in the
repository; instead, put a template in the repository called
configurations.php.tmpl that users can copy to an unversioned file
configurations.php and modify, and then you svn:ignore
configurations.php so that it doesn't get committed to the
repository. See:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ignore-commit

Re: svn not ignoring files

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 13:27, Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have checked out a project and did the modification I need. However, one
> of the files is for the production envorenment and I don't need to check in
> these modification. The files name is configurations.php. So I added this
> file to svn:ignore list. And when I did a commet all the modification were
> checked in. Is there any way that I can roll these changes out and prevent
> this from happening again?

Once a file is in the repository, you can't ignore it.

Have a look at this: http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ignore-commit