Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Joel Tan <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/01 06:23:24 UTC

Re: Mozilla takes on Flash

Hi Alex,

I like your statement “For me, a goal is to get someone to use Flex/FlexJS to build a site or apps that people can't live without”, You are right! If Flex Developers can build apps that draw many users to it, make it to be part of their lives or businesses which they can’t live without, then Flex will definitely be prospered. But it’s so much more rely on the creativities of Flex Developers rather than Flex Technology, today we have seen many great Flex apps are run behind the Firewall in corporate companies, Flex are well known in enterprise, but they are not made known so much to the public users, because lack of consumer apps.

I always believe that internet can not be owned by an organisation, but it’s driven by communities. If Flex community can build great apps that using Flex Technology to flood the internet, acquired huge user based to rely on it as part of their lives and business as what Alex was mentioned “can’t live without”, Flex/Flash/SWF won’t go away.

Technologies come and go, Flex/Flash won’t go but will continue to evolve, many other technologies was trying to kill Flash in the History, such as Ajax, Silverlight and etc, they all not succeed, this time HTML5 will have no exception. Adobe is smart enough to reposition Flash by focusing 3D gaming and video content, it’s where HTML5 is not good at and hardly come close to it in long term, it’s one of the way Adobe try to protect the Flash Player to be remained in the desktop browser (just my own assumption), so that we can build our Flex apps freely and peacefully running within the browser. Today we have seen many great 3D games are rely on desktop Flash Player, consumers can’t live without those 3D games, those 3D games required Flash Player, Apple, Microsoft can’t live without consumers, they have to support Flash Player.

We should stop doubting about Flex/Flash, stop being negative, continue to create great Flex apps (especially apps that target consumer) to flood the internet, acquire huge user based for your Flex apps, the future of Flex is so much rely on what Flex community do today to continue to create great apps, we must believe it, don’t quit and press on.

Joel

Re: Mozilla takes on Flash

Posted by Ronny Shibley <rs...@codefish.com>.
Well said Joel ! I'm a strong believer in structured programing and
painless portability. Flex is by far the best there is out there at the
time being. It might be a while before others catch up. Until we are
provided with an alternative that does not deny us all software
architecture standards...  I'm forcing all my employees to stick with flex
for enterprise application development. Yes , we had couple setbacks
developing for mobile... But nothing we couldn't overcome with small
workarounds.

So thank you flex team for giving us this wonderful programing experience.

Ronny