Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by xavier lemaire <xa...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/25 11:28:47 UTC

Handling a lot of binaries with subversion

Hello folks !

I am a new comer in this list and new svn user.
I found svn fonctionality very good that s why I am trying to use it
for our needs.

So my goal is to handle a lot of pictures using Svn. Why ?
Because we are several users updating a common reopsitory with new
shots. and also to enable adding these shots on my laptop for example
and then update the SVN repository !
This has double advantage !
- handle parallel update
- Backup all our pictures live ! ( all data are replicated on one
server + 2 laptops )

But I found one issue ... On each client used disk space is huge. we
have  near to 5Gb pictures, and on the different test I have done, all
files are duplicated. So for 5Gb pictures it takes 10 Gb disk space.

Does some of you know any way to avoid all duplicated data ? Is there
any option to avoid ?

(I can figure out why you keep a local previous version for a txt
file, but for binary I don't understand  since you cannot compare ?? ?
  )

Re: Handling a lot of binaries with subversion

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 25, 2005, at 5:28 AM, xavier lemaire wrote:

> (I can figure out why you keep a local previous version for a txt
> file, but for binary I don't understand  since you cannot compare ?? ?

The local cache exists so that 'diff' and 'revert' can be run without
network access, and also so that the client can send diffs to the
server during commits.

There's no to disable the local cache.  Wait for svn 2.0, it's a
long-term redesign goal.