Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Ian Dunlop <ia...@manchester.ac.uk> on 2015/12/04 16:28:05 UTC

Common workflow language

Re: Common workflow language

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 10-Dec-15 09:35, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
>   I've signed up for the CWL hackathon, but I hope others would join!

I will go - I just didn't care what date it is :)

Alan

Re: Common workflow language

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Agreed,

Here are the issues in Jira, I used the label cwl:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20cwl%20AND%20Project%20%3D%20TAVERNA

So my suggested approach is to try to use the CWL Java SDK (which
probably needs some contributions as it only appeared today on GitHub)
and parse CWL into rough JSON configuration per step in the workflow.

YAML can be parsed as JSON, so that bit shouldn't be too hard.. what
is tricky perhaps is that CWL lets you reference tool descriptions in
separate files, so CWL workflows are not very portable yet. (Unless we
propose CWL to do a Research Object bundling like we do with the
Workflow Bundles)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: Common workflow language

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@manchester.ac.uk>.
Hello,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 04-Dec-15 15:28, Ian Dunlop wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have views on how Apache Taverna fits into the goals of
> the Common Workflow Language project
> https://github.com/common-workflow-language/common-workflow-language ?
> Should taverna adopt CWL instead of SCUFL2. Are there things that
> SCUFL2 or the current taverna engine offers that CWL does not?

Stian is probably the best person to answer this as he has been quite
involved with CWL. To the best of my knowledge, CWL started off very
similar to SCUFL2 but diverged.

There is a CWL/Taverna/Galaxy hackathon planned for May 2016 in Paris. I
think (hope) I sent around the Doodle poll for it.

> Cheers,
>
> Ian

Alan

Re: Common workflow language

Posted by Dmitry <re...@list.ru>.
Hello,

I am quite skeptical about any new workflow language given that we
already have something like 50...
How one would describe XML message in ontology (not saying it is
impossible)?
What kind of services workflows should support?

I may be wrong, but CWL looks like a command line pipeline oriented
script processor rather than a "language".

If one is looking for something new to be used as a "workflow language"
I would rather take a look at the jBatch (jsr352) specification.
There is still a time to join a JCP for the next jBatch spec (IMO they
need to separate input/output properties).

It is XML / Java based, but the XML part is quite abstract to be
implemented in any other language.

The idea behind is that there are several components

Abstract API - Java interfaces that must be implemented by "processors"
Simple XML language that defines the workflow in terms of jobs, batches,
steps...
The configuration that defines aliases linking workflow blocks to
concrete implementation.
And, finally, the "runtime" that executes the workflow (part of JEE7 or
standalone). Note that one could develop its own runtime to execute in a
cloud, grid, etc.

Note that in case of some step failure, it is possible to restart the
step. There is also a way to specify steps that could be done in parallel.

Using jBatch it is possible to define a set of processors -
"wsdl_executor", "rest_executor" that then can be used by the workflow.

I played with it to execute a simple workflow that link two web
services, but found some limitations - no separation between
input/output parameters and
no parameter types.

Cheers,

Dmitry