Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/03 16:18:06 UTC

WARNING: Cannot use Maven 3.0.3 with Maven Release Plugin 2.2.2 (MNG-5224)

Hi,

I just found a regression:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5224

I think it is serious enough to recommend users avoid using the above
combination if you rely on properties in a settings.xml profile to GPG
sign your releases. (i.e. anyone pushing to Central)

-Stephen

Re: WARNING: Cannot use Maven 3.0.3 with Maven Release Plugin 2.2.2 (MNG-5224)

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Gaah! I just managed to waste an hour hunting down an issue with a
suddenly failing release after a parent of a parent was changed to use
version 2.2.2 of the release plugin. The worst is that I now recall I
saw this thread a week ago.

Kalle

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
I agree to not hold up the 3.0.4 release as it was already in 3.0.3 thus
the problem was in the previous release process that didn't identify this
problem.
The problem of this bug is that we don't know if this bug is affecting many
plugins but it seems that it's not really the case as it is here for a long
time now (more than one year ago when we released the 3.0.3)
I would recommend to try to improve the visibility of know bugs in our web
sites (core and plugins) to try to avoid as much as possible to let our
users loose many time with them. The question is how ???
For example for this bug with the release plugin I lost 1/2 day to identify
it ( the time to understand that one team upgraded the release plugin
version, to replay the release problem ...)

Arnaud

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/01/2012, at 7:58 AM, Jesse Farinacci wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
>
>> Surely something as egregious as allowing releases to break should block
>> 3.0.4 from being released tho.  As someone who uses GPG in that manner for
>> some of his releases I'd certainly want 3.0.4 to be able to release...
>

> It didn't stop the 3.0.3 release, what's the difference with 3.0.4? It's
> getting rather frustrating at seeing all these relatively solitary or
> edge-case problems derail the entire release process.
>
> I have performed many releases with 3.0.3 and 3.0.4-rcX both, so this is
> not a problem for me, and I dare say it's a very large majority of users
> that it is also not a problem for.
>
> Stop stopping the presses, please!! It's just a stupid point release! It
> doesn't have to solve every existing MNG-* out there! This kind of
> localized Chicken Little behavior is making it harder and harder to get
> small releases out the door. You're making it worse for all users.
>
> *sigh*
>
> (the same goes for all the bike shedding whiners about the dependency fetch
> timeout - you know who you are)

That'd be me :)

While I agree with your earlier reasoning in this case, there's a difference between a bug affecting a small subset of users that's been there for a few releases and an unexpected change in behaviour from the last release that would affect quite a few users...

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: WARNING: Cannot use Maven 3.0.3 with Maven Release Plugin 2.2.2 (MNG-5224)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
i am not saying hold up the release... just beware the combo

- Stephen

---
screen

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
it all depends on whether olamy decides as RM to backport or not. he is RM
for the 3.0.4 release by virtue of action.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,
I will stage an other RC today evening time (fr tz)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
cool

- Stephen

---

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/01/2012, at 9:04 AM, Ansgar Konermann wrote:

> Am 03.01.2012 22:12, schrieb Benson Margulies:
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
>>> Surely something as egregious as allowing releases to break should block
>>> 3.0.4 from being released tho.  As someone who uses GPG in that manner for
>>> some of his releases I'd certainly want 3.0.4 to be able to release...
>>
>> I disagree. There's no law requiring people to use 2.2.2 of the plugin.
>

> Hi,
>
> that's is an interesting point. No offense here, but what *is* the law
> w.r.t a "Maven Release"? I'm not that deep into Apache and Maven
> processes, but from what I could learn from public sources so far, I
> believe this is not clear altogether, and it might help to discuss this
> and make up our mind regarding such a "law" (i. e. release policy) to
> have a guideline for the future.
>
> Being a bit heretical: is it Maven's policy to release only Maven and
> wish the user luck to find out which versions of the core plugins work
> well with which version of Maven?
>
> Or can the average user expect to be reasonably safe if using the latest
> release of Maven with the latest release of any core plugin?
>
> From a user perspective, I perceive Maven as "the Maven application plus
> its core plugins" - they are basically one system. Agreed, it has a
> highly modular architecture, and a lot of these modules (= plugins) have
> decoupled release cycles, nevertheless it's IMHO hard to sell to the
> average user that the newest bugfix release of Maven with the newest
> bugfix release of the release plugin has *more* bugs than the slightly
> outdated one.

We have a number of "core plugins" with versions set in the parent POM with each release. We use an unsophisticated metric to decide what to use:
- been out for a while without reports of major projects
- someone was motivated to update it

They'll generally be very stable but may lag the latest releases - but you should consider those will all work well out of the box.

It's on the plugin authors to test their plugins with different released versions of Maven and report on compatibility.

For new Maven releases, we rely on the user community testing to identify any regressions with various different versions of plugins, so there's no blessed versions. If you're conservative, you might use the same policy we use for the core plugins, though I'd speculate the people inclined to test the release probably tend to test with close to recent versions of plugins.

- Brett

Posted by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com>.
Am 03.01.2012 22:12, schrieb Benson Margulies:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
>> Surely something as egregious as allowing releases to break should block
>> 3.0.4 from being released tho.  As someone who uses GPG in that manner for
>> some of his releases I'd certainly want 3.0.4 to be able to release...
>
> I disagree. There's no law requiring people to use 2.2.2 of the plugin.

Hi,

that's is an interesting point. No offense here, but what *is* the law
w.r.t a "Maven Release"? I'm not that deep into Apache and Maven
processes, but from what I could learn from public sources so far, I
believe this is not clear altogether, and it might help to discuss this
and make up our mind regarding such a "law" (i. e. release policy) to
have a guideline for the future.

Being a bit heretical: is it Maven's policy to release only Maven and
wish the user luck to find out which versions of the core plugins work
well with which version of Maven?

Or can the average user expect to be reasonably safe if using the latest
release of Maven with the latest release of any core plugin?

>From a user perspective, I perceive Maven as "the Maven application plus
its core plugins" - they are basically one system. Agreed, it has a
highly modular architecture, and a lot of these modules (= plugins) have
decoupled release cycles, nevertheless it's IMHO hard to sell to the
average user that the newest bugfix release of Maven with the newest
bugfix release of the release plugin has *more* bugs than the slightly
outdated one.

This leads to another question: shouldn't we have system tests which
make sure that common usage scenarios work with, say, the last N maven
releases? That is: should plugins run their ITs against multiple
versions of Maven? If so, how many versions should they go into the
past?  Or even better, shouldn't a *Maven* release trigger re-running
the ITs of the most recent release of all core plugins', using the new
Maven version? Add to this the fact that signing artifacts before
deployment using gpg is mandatory for sync to central, so this is one of
the more important use cases of the release plugin.

Would love to hear more opinions on this.

Best regards

Ansgar

Re: WARNING: Cannot use Maven 3.0.3 with Maven Release Plugin 2.2.2 (MNG-5224)

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
Not only properties like I explained it here :
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-724

Arnaud

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Stephen Connolly <

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.